+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Water Damage, Help Needed Urgently.

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi guys, Here's my problem, Last week I dropped my iPhone 4 down the toilet, (yeah yeah a dumb thing to do I know) it was in the toilet for
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Water Damage, Help Needed Urgently.
    Hi guys,

Here's my problem,

Last week I dropped my iPhone 4 down the toilet, (yeah yeah a dumb thing to do I know) it was in the toilet for literally 1 second, as soon as I pulled it out I took the back out and dried it with a hair dryer, it came back on and apart from the screen looking a but wet the Phone worked perfectly,

That was until yesterday I was charging the phone and it just switched itself off, I tried to switch it back on but nothing I tried charging it overnight but nothing, I've tried swapping the battery with my boyfriends iPhone 4 but it's not a battery problem as my battery works in his iPhone perfectly and I tried his battery in my iPhone but still nothing, tried connecting it to my computer but nothing and iTunes doesn't see it either,

So now I'm lost and obviously gutted I can't take it to apple cause it's not covered on the warranty so I don't have a clue what to do,

Hope someone can help

Thanks in advance,

iPhone? More like MyPhone M3th0s's Avatar
    Thanks

I would assume some of the electronics have gone poof. If so, you just got yourself a very expensive paper weight><
    On another note, I had the same thing happening to my 3GS, but he survived (after a lot of drying :P)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

when my phone was dropped in my sink, i blow deyed it and let in site fully covered in a bowl of white rice for 2 days, worked fine after.

get a bowl of WHITE rice and try ut after 2 days ( not before )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

By not PROPERLY drying it before attempting to use it you likely killed it, but I'll take a look if you want. http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-b-s-...uff-money.html
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi guys,

So heres my current update, to say im shocked is an understatement,

I followed everyones advice and bought a food bag (zipped one obviously) and put a bag full of rice in it and put the iphone 4 in to the bag, This was yesterday afternoon.

So i kept checking it overnight and still nothing was happening,

Checked this morning and still nothing,

Then about 10 minutes ago i held the bag and the phone (didn't take the phone of the bag) and pressed the power button and WOW something appeared on the screen, it was the no power sign, when your battery goes dead (Click here to see what sign im talking about: http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...ttery-dead.jpg)

Now as the screen seems to be working what do i do next, do i leave it in there?? or do i take it out and charge it?/

If i do leave it in there how long shall i leave it in there for?

What im afraid of is it would be jst my luck now to leave it in there and when i do eventually take it out of the bag of rice i'll go to charge it and it won't charge or something lol that would be my bad luck lol,

So what do you suggest i do next??

Also thanks ever so much to all of you for your outstanding help, you guys have really been amazing,

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

leave it in for another 24 hours then take it out and charge it, just to be safe. tere still may be water in there, so better to be safe then even more sorry! right?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My wife's 3GS went thru this problem and even she tried to use it right after, the phone just turned off itself. The solution is time and rice. Silica gel also works but you have to let it dry for at least one week. After that, iphone worked fine. It's been 5 months since then and it is still working good. Good luck!

Thanks

If you have kids, a diaper fresh out of the pack has some awesome absorbing stuff. Put your phone in a ziplock bag with the guts of the diaper. Just sayin.
    unklbyl

Thanks

Rice or even the absorbers won't actually "fix" the problem depending on how wet the inside got. If you don't take it apart and get all the moisture cleaned out, in time it can corrode causing it to quit working permanently. If you feel comfortable in taking it apart, do so and clean everything with at least 91% alcohol, this will remove the moisture. If you don't want to do it yourself take it to a shop and have them do it. Better safe than sorry.

I've fixed a phone that went through a 55 minute wash cycle and sat in the washer all night.