Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: new battery won't grab a charge

Default new battery won't grab a charge
    Well my old 3gs battery was on its last leg it would decide to randomly cut power.

So I purchased a new one.

I put it in, closed it up, and everything worked fine. Booted up to 43% battery. I plugged it in to charge and while it was charging I noticed the percentage was decreasing. I thought it was just a bug so I didn't pay much attention to it.

I left it charging over night and when i woke up it was at 9%. So out of curiosity i used it until the battery died.

Now the phone boots up to the "out of power screen" When I plug it in it registers that it is charging but it just won't.

What do you guys believe to the problem?
    Is there a ribbon cable that i could have damaged that would cause this? Or is the battery just not properly alined.
    Last edited by Forgoten Dynasty; 04-15-2011 at 06:12 PM.

3gs have serious battery issues. You need to get an OEM or better iPhone 3gs battery. The problem is that the battery circuitry is not compatible with your 3gs. If you are very sophisticated you can desolder the old circuit board from your old battery and solder to your new one. Or just get a real 3gs battery that is compatible with your 3gs. Check the APN # on your old battery and get the same APN # on your new battery. (Apple Part Number) Good luck. Brad

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 805 93003 For This Useful Post:

Forgoten Dynasty (04-15-2011)

Thank you so much for the reply, However, not even my old battery is being charged anymore.

I also replaced the power button, wifi, vibrator, and antenna if that makes a difference.

Would you be able to tell me how likely it is that this is a main board issue? I'm shitting bricks thinking that it might be . I don't recall ever putting it through large amounts of stress.
    Last edited by Forgoten Dynasty; 04-16-2011 at 03:19 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

can determine the difference between 3g and 3gs batters by the APN number as mentioned..

3g=616-03XX

3gs=616-04XX

In the past it did not matter what battery you used, but since 4.0 iOS has been a lot more picky about batteries

You need to use the 3gs battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Quote Originally Posted by harmon View Post
    can determine the difference between 3g and 3gs batters by the APN number as mentioned..

3g=616-03XX

3gs=616-04XX

In the past it did not matter what battery you used, but since 4.0 iOS has been a lot more picky about batteries
    Quote Originally Posted by STRAYunINFIDEL View Post
    You need to use the 3gs battery.
    Again, not even the original battery charges . Is it possible that I broke it buy using the wrong battery?

The new one is a 616-0435; the old one is 616-0434. However, neither one of them take a charge now.

I've read quite a bit about cleaning the motherboard with alcohol do you think this will help it? I've noticed a reasonable amount of residue where the battery connects + my phone was very dirty upon opening it for the first time.

DId ou try a restore at all to make the battery "one with the logic board"
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Quote Originally Posted by STRAYunINFIDEL View Post
    DId ou try a restore at all to make the battery "one with the logic board"
    Yeah DFU restore did not help me at all.

Had same problem with 3g. Changed battery and no joy. Changed USB port no joy, changed charging cable and yippee. Try it you might like it.