+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3gs "charging not supported with this accessory"

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So I've read other posts and have tried restoring, cleaning the port, trying other hubs, plugs, and cables and I'm still getting "charging not supported" at random. I'm convinced there's
    Thanks
    Unhappy SOLVED 3gs "charging not supported with this accessory"
    So I've read other posts and have tried restoring, cleaning the port, trying other hubs, plugs, and cables and I'm still getting "charging not supported" at random. I'm convinced there's some sort of damage to the phone's port but it looks completely in tact and in shape to me. I just restored it so there's nothing on it, but I need to put stuff on it to use it, but I plan to take it in to the apple store this weekend and I need it clean so I'm not sure what I should do because I need my phone and the apps I have.

Has anyone else had this issue and took the phone in managing to get the port or whatever was wrong fixed? I've already had it for over 1 year so I'm not sure what they could do for me and I can't afford buying a new one. I'm kind of going nuts trying all these different solutions and nothing is working.
    Last edited by rististien; 04-15-2011 at 04:18 PM.

I haz a number
    Thanks

You need to clean the pins in the Dock Port carefully with isopropyll alcohol. The pins are on top of the mid rib. You must clean them really well, be firm but not harsh. Clean it until you get that warning window to go away. Spend a couple of minutes doing a thorough job.

Good luck,

Brad

Thanks
    thanks I'll try that soon as I get home. Should I use a cotton swab or a piece of cloth? I have one of those special phone cloths.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What charger are you using?

iPhone? More like MyPhone M3th0s's Avatar
    Thanks

or it could be that there is not enough power coming from the port. if you have that connected to a usb hub that could be the case. Either that or it is a cheap cable

Thanks
    Ok so I figured out last night that when I plug it into the adapter to charge it in the wall it works just fine. I can also plug a iphone 3G and it works fine. I also am having problems with the phones camera, it will take pictures but even after fully restoring it will not record video. I'm not sure if this could be related but my volume button fell off so I without thinking superglued it back on. I also can't get cracked mywi to tether from my 3Gs at all. I'm really baffled.....

Thanks
    so after repeated restores and cleanings and trying different things I've determined my phone is just effed so I'm going to upgrade to the 4. Thanks for all your help!