Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Random Shutdowns

Default Random Shutdowns
    Hey gang,

My iPhone 4 randomly shuts down sometimes. what's interesting is that sometimes, if it's plugged in, it'll stay on, but as soon as it's plugged out it shuts off and doesn't want to turn on unless it's plugged in. What's also interesting is that it doesn't get charged up if this happens.

Say my phone's at 40% battery and I plug it in. I wait 2 hours and unplug it. The phone shuts off. I plug it back in, and the battery is still at only 40%.

Help?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Li-ion For This Useful Post:

32dave (04-04-2011)

Thanks

i am having the same problem battery goes from 100%to 13% then shuts down and i have to plug it in to turn on and battery shows 100% again i was going to buy a new battery thinking it was shot but it sounds like there is more too it

you may have to restore again.

Thanks

i will try it and let you know

Quote Originally Posted by Li-ion View Post
    Hey gang,

My iPhone 4 randomly shuts down sometimes. what's interesting is that sometimes, if it's plugged in, it'll stay on, but as soon as it's plugged out it shuts off and doesn't want to turn on unless it's plugged in. What's also interesting is that it doesn't get charged up if this happens.

Say my phone's at 40% battery and I plug it in. I wait 2 hours and unplug it. The phone shuts off. I plug it back in, and the battery is still at only 40%.

Help?
    Try a restore.
    if that doesn't work, take off the back glass cover and check the battery connection.

Plug and unplug the connection.
    (use a guide/YouTube vid if you don't know how)

If it's hardware, it's possibly one of two things:

1) your battery needs to be replaced
    2) the charging dock needs to be replaced, as the current is not getting enough juice in to charge the battery.

Consult with a guide from the likes of iFixit(dot)com for help.

99% of problems like this are easily repaired with a bit of time, patience, and money. (not a lot needed either)

If you need iPhone 4 parts, PM me.

The best way to fix a problem is often to start simple. My first step would be clean the dock port carefully with isopropyll alcohol, especially the dock pins. Take a couple of minutes and do a thorough job. The alcohol will dry in a few seconds then see if it is fixed. If not try cleaning with the alcohol again.

If not fixed, then again keep it simple. These are iP4 which are under warranty. Apple will swap it out at the Genius Bar. That should fix everything.

Scary thing is water damage. Don't play with water and you will be fine.

Good luck,

Brad