+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3G damaged wifi connector? glue it?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
i gave my iphone 3G to a friend for repair purposes well he put my phone back together after he was done testing some things on his phone by taking
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Mrdabbas's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iphone 3G damaged wifi connector? glue it?
    i gave my iphone 3G to a friend for repair purposes

well he put my phone back together after he was done testing some things on his phone by taking my parts

well i opened it up to change the housing and saw that the wifi antenna was not plugged into the motherboard..i looked closer and the motherboard connection was damaged and the plug would not click in

well now im putting the phone back together on a new housing and ordered a new wifi antenna

is it possible to just glue the antenna to the motherboard so it would sit in and not keep poping out?

FYI the wifi was working even when the antenna flex was not plugged into the mainboard properly

any help is much appreciated

thanks!
    Last edited by Mrdabbas; 04-01-2011 at 06:54 PM.

I haz a number
    Thanks

I would carefully tape it down, placing a thin band of tape over the top of the ribbon connector. Being very careful not to damage or stick the tape on anything that could be damaged now or if the tape moves, or in the future when you might remove the tape. Also this problem is repairable. The top ribbon cable 6 is replaceable. And the pop-off connector piece I believe is soldered to the Logic Board and are sold on the net. It seems to be an easy solder job for an experieced person.

For me I would carefully use tape for now.

Good luck,

Brad

Thanks

Thanks m8 I'll try that

iPhone? More like MyPhone iamkadaj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdabbas View Post

well he put my phone back together after he was done testing some things on his phone by taking my parts

well i opened it up to change the housing and saw that the wifi antenna was not plugged into the motherboard..i looked closer and the motherboard connection was damaged and the plug would not click in

well now im putting the phone back together on a new housing and ordered a new wifi antenna

is it possible to just glue the antenna to the motherboard so it would sit in and not keep poping out?

FYI the wifi was working even when the antenna flex was not plugged into the mainboard properly

thanks!
    Fire your friend.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Mrdabbas. did you get a chance to try and was the fix succeful? I ran into the same issue like you stated and was wondering what to do. Where do you put the glue? Use it as the bouble stick or, as m8 suggested, just tape it down from the top?

Thanks you both and appreciate your help.
    Last edited by dcgao2004; 04-07-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: clean typos

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Wifi Flex repair with Glue (3M double stick tape)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdabbas View Post

thanks!
    Thanks mrdabbas for your response in your another thread. I tried your way and it worked. I cut a small piece 3M double stick into a "O" shape and put it in between ribbon and MB. Push the flex down slightly while using small needle to push the gel around the connectors and make it stick two pieces together. It worked fine now. I guess only surface touch is enough to make connection work as you have observed. Thanks for you brilliant idea!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dcgao2004 View Post
    Thanks mrdabbas for your response in your another thread. I tried your way and it worked. I cut a small piece 3M double stick into a "O" shape and put it in between ribbon and MB. Push the flex down slightly while using small needle to push the gel around the connectors and make it stick two pieces together. It worked fine now. I guess only surface touch is enough to make connection work as you have observed. Thanks for you brilliant idea!
    Thanks man

Your idea is actually slightly better than mine