+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need iPhone 3GS Battery Replacement

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Can anyone recommend a good replacement battery for my iPhone 3GS? I'm looking for one that comes with whatever is needed to install it in my phone and that has
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Need iPhone 3GS Battery Replacement
    Can anyone recommend a good replacement battery for my iPhone 3GS? I'm looking for one that comes with whatever is needed to install it in my phone and that has a higher charge than the stock battery. My current battery dies in an hour from 100%.

I also have a few questions:
    Will this new battery eventually die like the one I have now?
    Is there anything I can do to slow down it's death?
    Is it true that keeping the phone on the charger all the time is bad?
    Will my data on the phone be gone after I replace the battery?

Thanks

Can anyone help me with this?
    Last edited by coolio86; 03-31-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I haz a number
    Thanks

Do not try to get any "special" battery for an iPhone 3gs. Get one from a reliable seller, make sure it is called at least OEM, and definitely for a 3gs. When you replace the battery, make sure the iPhone 3gs is OFF. And when you replace the screen assembly again make sure you did not accidently turn the phone on. If it somehow is on, turn it OFF before reconnecting the screen.

Before replacing battery make sure it is the battery that is bad. Make sure that you do not have rogue settings enabled that drain the battery, ie push, wifi, bluetooth etc, etc, etc, etc. Bad reception will drain a battery, too. There are so many issues with iPhone battery including jailbreak issues, unlock issues, and even if you Restore iPhone from Back-up vs as New.

"Will this new battery eventually die like the one I have now?" All batteries eventually die. I repair iPhones as a hobby and have never had to replace bad iPhone battery, including the 10 first year 2g (original) I maintain for friends, iPhone batteries are excellent.

"Is there anything I can do to slow down it's death?" Avoid water damage.

Is it true that keeping the phone on the charger all the time is bad? Not supposed to be bad. I would not leave it on the charger for no reason however. Just use and charge the iPhone as conviently as possible for you, and it will be fine.

Will my data on the phone be gone after I replace the battery? No, data will still be there.

Replacement tools, Phillips 0 or 00 screwdriver, suction cup, paper clip, thin flat metal object to help pry up battery if pull tab fails (sliding door of 3.5 floppy disk will work), small flat head screwdriver or similar to disconnect 1,2,3 screen connectors. Be especially careful with Cable 3, knowing how to flip up fragile lock bar tab with care.

Good luck,

Brad
    Last edited by 805 93003; 03-31-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks man. I did notice that my battey was dying faster and faster over time but it never was this bad. I've had it since a week after launch date. I noticed sometimes I turn the phone off at about 30% and when I turn it back on it's at 20%. Sometimes it doesn't even turn back on until I go to charge it and it gives the low battery picture. But thx for the tips.

I haz a number
    Thanks

Hi,

Well batteries are inexpensive and can be replaced. So it is a good decision to replace it.

If you have active AppleCare, Apple will swap out your iPhone for free, with a new Refurb of course.

I did not know that your 3gs had a long history with you. Many members post about recent aquisitions often with dubious sources or bad Ebay experience. These members need to carefully analyze their iPhones before deciding what might be wrong with it.

Brad

Green Apple
    Thanks

Also these OEM batteries come with tools needed to install it right?

Well does anyone know if these OEM batteries come with the tools I need to install it in my phone?
    Last edited by coolio86; 04-01-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone iamkadaj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolio86 View Post
    Also these OEM batteries come with tools needed to install it right?

Well does anyone know if these OEM batteries come with the tools I need to install it in my phone?
    Usually batteries don't, just replacement screens.

All you need is #00 & #0 Philips screwdriver, and a suction cup.

Oh, and some double sided adhesive to keep the battery firm to the back cover.

Very simple procedure, just *take your time*.

Also, keep note of screw placement!

Also, if your iPhone is out of warranty this will void it as you will be removing the "do not remove" warranty seal.

Make sure the battery is for the correct model too!

Take your time!!

I can't stress that enough!

read the above comments (on my iPhone here, can't credit the poster) but he gives great advice also.

Best of luck!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thx