Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dead iPhone 3GS - No history!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Dead iPhone 3GS - No history!
    Hey guys,

Just got delivery of a 3GS which supposedly had a broken connector #3.

The iPhone is completely dead, no life whatsoever. With a broken connector #3 you would expect it to still be recognised by itunes and still power up etc, but just lose the earpiece and proximity sensor functionality.

The iPhone has had the battery and dock connector replaced. It has also had a new screen fitted. (A new connector #3 was included by the seller which will need soldering to the bare board)

Anyway, I've just cracked it open, dissassembled it up to removing the logic board. Had a good look around and then reassembled, and apart from the fact that the logic board screws had been mixed up, I could see nothing obvious jumping out at me!

Sorry for the lecture guys, but anyway does anyone have any suggestions at all?! If I could jsut figure out what was wrong with it, I'm sure I can successfully carry out any DIY repairs (e.g. soldering etc exempt)

(Note I do have experience ripping apart iPhones as I stripped and replaced the back housing on my 3G successfully)

And you have left it on a charger for 20 mins and no sign of life?
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Haha good point! Think I better do that, won't hold out much hope though but cheers lol!

Try it and get back to me

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Rudebwoi93 (03-31-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok well its been plugged into my laptop for over 20 minutes now. - Initially plugged it in at 21:15 (GMT) its now 21:37 (GMT) still no signs of life!
    Last edited by Rudebwoi93; 03-31-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Typo

Try hold home and power for 10 seconds then release and continue holding the home button down for 20 seconds are so and see if the computer will see it in dfu

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not a peep out of it mate! I'm starting to suspect the logic board. I think eventually I will have to find a way to test the battery to see if its producing max volts, then I know its being charged and also know dock connector is working but I'll have to wait to do that again until I can find out if I own a multimeter lol!

EDIT: Also water sensors have not been triggered. Have checked via the sim tray, not sure the other one (I think its in the dock connector but then its pointless as its been changed anyway!)

Make sure the dock connector even works. If it doesn't work then thats why it wont turn on. It has no way of having battery life
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STRAYunINFIDEL View Post
    Make sure the dock connector even works. If it doesn't work then thats why it wont turn on. It has no way of having battery life
    Yeah, that's what I said/meant mate I'm not sure how I would go about testing the dock connector but if I got my hands on a multimeter, opened it back up again and tested the battery after leaving it charged for a few hours. Then if I get a voltage/current Reading in line with what it should be producing then I know that both the dock connector and the battery work as any current must pass through the dock connector first!

My 3G has a broken #3 Connector aswell, and I have noticed that if the flex cable is not installer correctly, the phone will not boot, them it just seems dead for like 10-20min and then it suddenly boots..

You could try to install a new dock connector, and see if it helps..

Quote Originally Posted by Renejos View Post
    My 3G has a broken #3 Connector aswell, and I have noticed that if the flex cable is not installer correctly, the phone will not boot, them it just seems dead for like 10-20min and then it suddenly boots..

You could try to install a new dock connector, and see if it helps..
    Take the motherboard out and put it into a friends iPhone, see what happens then.

Even though the board is not water damaged, it wouldn't hurt to do a 15 minute soak in 99% IPA (Alcohol).

This will diminish any impurities and bad minerals that may be hampering the connections.

So JUST the motherboad, in 99% alcohol - 15 mins - allow to oxidise/dry

See what the results are.