Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G won't charge/sync. HELP!

Default iPhone 3G won't charge/sync. HELP!
    So I got an iPhone 3G from a friend. The screen was broken and I figured it would be an easy fix seeing as I've done it before. I also replaced the back housing. The phone was working fine before the repairs. While I was putting it back together I noticed that a small silver metal piece fell off. I think it came from the bottom of the phone somewhere but I'm not sure. Anyways. He phone works fine EXCEPT it won't charge or be recognized by iTunes. When I plug in the USB, the low battery and lightning bolt will appear and eventually boot up but die shortly after. I will post pics of the metal piece later. Hopefully that's the problem and someone knows where it goes. Thanks in advance!!

yeah oncw i see the piece ill probably be able to help you a little better
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Quote Originally Posted by Westerman View Post
    Thanks. Ill post it later tonight

OKay ill be waiting lol

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

I also have a new issue. I tried doing the "reset all" from the settings menu, thinking it might fix the prob. but now all i get is the spinning/pineapple logo. and since itunes wont recognize it, i cant put the phone in recovery/DFU....I read that if you perform the "reset" with cydia installed it will cause the phone to have these symptoms.

yeah it can we need the phone to be recognized by he computer first

Unknown piece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imageuploadedbymodmyi.jpg  

Pic Uploaded

That looks like a tab to hold your dock connector in place

That looks like a tab to hold your dock connector in place
    Do you know where it goes?

Yeah on the bottom of the dock conector

Yeah on the bottom of the dock conector
    any way that you could show me a visual of this?

You need to put the iPhone in DFU mode. You actually may need to put the iPhone in enhanced DFU mode using Redsn0w or Pwnage Tool. You may need to restore with a custom firmware made with Pwnage Tool if you want to preserve an older baseband. You may need to restore with a custom firmware made with Pwnage Tool if you have an iPad screwed baseband. You may need to use TinyUmbrella.

But before restoring you need to get into DFU mode. Not restore mode. DFU mode.

iPhones semi-brick when you "Reset All" a Jailbroken phone. DFU is the way out.

Good luck,

Brad

Westerman is bang on the button, that's to keep the dock held down.

If you can't get it firmly in place without the screw, use a nice, strong double sided adhesive.

Also, maybe you could try Tiny Umbrella to boot into recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by iamkadaj View Post
    Westerman is bang on the button, that's to keep the dock held down.

If you can't get it firmly in place without the screw, use a nice, strong double sided adhesive.

Also, maybe you could try Tiny Umbrella to boot into recovery.

Ok so I put the clip back into place. But I'm still having the dfu mode issue. If I plug the phone into a wall charger (while it's off) the phone will turn on...to the pineapple logo. After a while I'll get the spinning icon over the pineapple and it will do a continuous loop on and off. When I try it connected to both my Mac and PC, I'll turn the phone off, hold the home button then plug in the USB. The phone will power up to the boot logo then I the Steve Jobs cartoon with something in German. iTunes won't recognize that the phone is connected.......so that's where I'm stuck right now. Any suggestions??

When putting an iPhone into DFU it is best in most circumstances to have the iPhone connected to the computer with the USB cable. Then turn the iPhone OFF, then enter DFU, then all is good.

But if memory serves me correctly, if you truly have a iPhone is DFU you can plug and unplug it to the computer and nothing will happen.

So back to your problem. You are not doing the correct steps to put a iPhone into DFU. You are trying to put it into Restore Mode (you say "I'll turn the phone off, hold the home button then plug in the USB). This is an attempt to get Restore Mode. This is all wrong.....

You need to put your iPhone into DFU Mode, then restore it.

Good luck,

Brad
    Last edited by 805 93003; 04-02-2011 at 12:45 PM.

I have a similar question. What do the outside bottom screws mount to on a 3GS. I replaces the dock port. And now there is a gap between the screen and bottom cover. Is there a support bracket missing. Or did I install it wrong. Does the dock go above the bezel ring or below

Quote Originally Posted by 805 93003 View Post
    When putting an iPhone into DFU it is best in most circumstances to have the iPhone connected to the computer with the USB cable. Then turn the iPhone OFF, then enter DFU, then all is good.

But if memory serves me correctly, if you truly have a iPhone is DFU you can plug and unplug it to the computer and nothing will happen.

So back to your problem. You are not doing the correct steps to put a iPhone into DFU. You are trying to put it into Restore Mode (you say "I'll turn the phone off, hold the home button then plug in the USB). This is an attempt to get Restore Mode. This is all wrong.....

You need to put your iPhone into DFU Mode, then restore it.

Good luck,

Brad
    i tried TinyUmbrella, all the buttons are grayed out. Now i cant turn the phone off. ive tried holding the sleep/home buttons and i get no response. its just stuck on the pineapple with the spinning wheel over it. it will eventually die and ill reconnect.....get the lightning bolt screen and it will eventually boot up to the same pineapple/spinning wheel screen. it does this over and over. I saw somewhere that there was an issue with OSX 10.5.6 getting into dfu mode. but im running 10.6.7 if that makes a difference?........HELP!!!!!! Im about to throw this useless piece of crap out the window!!!

Oh....just wonderiing, if the phone is unresponsive, meaning "no power at all." would apple swap it out?
    Last edited by flavaflorida; 04-03-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Taking an iPhone to Apple for some lucky persons is like getting a nice Birthday present, the Genius for no apparent good reason just swaps out the iPhone.

Another possibility is using the Apple Battery replacement program. It costs around $70 and the Genius gives you a nice new refurb. $70 may be worth it to you for a new iPhone 3g.

Good luck,

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Wileyone27 View Post
    I have a similar question. What do the outside bottom screws mount to on a 3GS. I replaces the dock port. And now there is a gap between the screen and bottom cover. Is there a support bracket missing. Or did I install it wrong. Does the dock go above the bezel ring or below
    The outside bottom screws mount the screen assembly.

The dock assembly screw holes must sit on TOP of the chrome bezel screw holes, not below.

putting the dock UNDER the bezel
    Ring will push the whole frame up.

Reassemble, an take you time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast