+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Potential Water Damage After Installing Invisible Shield?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok so I just completed my white faceplate conversion for my 3GS last night, which came out flawless. Today I decided to install an invisible shield on the front because
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Nopstnz8's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Potential Water Damage After Installing Invisible Shield?
    Ok so I just completed my white faceplate conversion for my 3GS last night, which came out flawless. Today I decided to install an invisible shield on the front because I wanted to protect it. Well unfortunately I used a little too much water to get the shield placed perfectly because my iPhone first started by randomly rebooting while I was still placing the shield on the screen. I still continued to install it, but each time, total of two times it rebooted, I attempted to immediately shut it down. After I was finished, I received a text from a friend and responded, but while texting I received an "Accessory not supported" message on the screen. I just dismissed it because nothing was connected. While I was texting the screen intermittently would flicker, but no white lines or crap signifying the lcd was destroyed happened. I figured just a little water may have gotten in it and it would dry out soon. Well I later plugged in the charger and while it was syncing to my MacBook the display started flashing and I was like "WTF?" I unplugged it and noticed small drops of water coming out of the charger port. I quickly shut down the phone and sprayed compressed air into the charger port to try and dry it out. It seems this removed plenty of water, but the flickering and crap is still there. My phone is currently off and I'm planning to wait a few hours before I turn it back on so it can dry. I might open it up tonight to see if I'm SOL or not, but does anyone here think I may have caused some serious damage? Everything still works fine, but when I tried to play music through the speaker, it thought like an ipod adapter was connected to the dock forcing no sound to come out. When I plug in the charger just to see what would happen, charging will work fine, and it tricked the phone to think nothing was connected. Unfortunately I saw some tiny specks of condensation in the camera lens, but I can't imagine the internals being that wet at all since I didn't use that much water.

What I'm worried about is the logic board, even if there is extremely minimal water that reached it. Everything else I'm ok replacing since I'm changing housings soon anyways. I have an extra charger port assembly with me if this one is done, but it will be in the new housing regardless. Also, if I need to replace the LCD that's not the end of the world either.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on what precautionary measures I should take to ensure my device remains problem free? I'm just in such shock something like this could have even happened since I'm so carful. If the logic board did potentially sustain even a slight form of water damage, would dunking it in a cornstarch solution or whatever it was people use to revive these boards, be beneficial to me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Update: Well I just turned it on again after like 20 minutes, and the accessory not supported message still appears, but the ipod part plays without thinking its connected to something. Everything else is basically the same, but I think the screen is flickering less? Looks like a good sign, but i'll keep you guys updated.

Also, I've been noticing that my phone will turn on from a powered off state just randomly. It's not frequent, but every 30 minutes to an hour I'd say it happens. Anyone have an explanation for that?
    Last edited by Nopstnz8; 03-25-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why were you using water to place an invisible shield?
    Thats a horrible idea...

Aside from that use some 99% alcohol to wash the board and connectors, should fix any water damage.

If not that it's a faulty part.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

Do the 99% alcohol like ^ said. Then stick it in a bag of rice for a day or two to dry up completely. Then it should be fine.

Next time, turn your device off when applying it like the directions say

The fact you had it on while the problems were occurring, damage is being done. If it were off the whole time, you would avoid damage and a simple dry with rice overnight would fix the issue.

Hopefully you can recover it back to normal with alcohol and rice. iPhones are tough and well built, shouldn't be an issue if you follow these steps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Do the 99% alcohol like ^ said. Then stick it in a bag of rice for a day or two to dry up completely. Then it should be fine.

Next time, turn your device off when applying it like the directions say

The fact you had it on while the problems were occurring, damage is being done. If it were off the whole time, you would avoid damage and a simple dry with rice overnight would fix the issue.

Hopefully you can recover it back to normal with alcohol and rice. iPhones are tough and well built, shouldn't be an issue if you follow these steps.
    Yeah, but mine was COMPLETELY powered off before and during the invisible shield install. Somehow water getting inside must have forced it to power on? Don't ask me why, because I couldn't even explain that. Lol.

Thanks for the advice though guys. Anyone know where I would be able to source 99% alcohol? Somewhere like Frys electronics? Would i just use it on the connectors, or soak the board in it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

If you can't find it at like a store like home depot or lowe's, Amazon.com has it.

I usually just submerge the whole phone. Some say to take the screen off but I don't.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

other than the rice trick or the alcohol which works flawlessy most of the time, you could also try popping into a ziplock with some sachets of silica gel for a day or two, guaranteed to work every time, provided there's no water damage to the PCBs already
    Apple Emac G4 | Intel Core i5 | Apple iPhone3G 16GB (aspiring to be an iPhone 4 )

Thanks

I did disassembly it entirely and wiped the remains of water from all the components. The top water indicator was hit, but not the bottom. Before disassembly, and even during I shot compressed air into all the crevices to try and remove as much water as possible. It's been like 3-4 days already and I just put the phone back together after all that. I replaced the headphone jack at that time, but think I did it wrong. The phone still won't boot, but should I still be worried about further water damage since I didn't use alcohol or the rice trick yet? I'm planning to send the entire phone to Westerman for a repair once I receive the replacement parts I ordered.