+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3gs - Interference during calls after dock assembly replacement

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok, so as title says I have an iphone 3gs which needed a dock replacement. Reason being my back button had failed due to the metal pads on the dock
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default 3gs - Interference during calls after dock assembly replacement
    Ok, so as title says I have an iphone 3gs which needed a dock replacement. Reason being my back button had failed due to the metal pads on the dock that make the connection to the home button had worn down. Anyway, I replaced the dock assembly and the home button worked, awesome I think, job done. Reassemble the thing and am very happy until I go to make a phone call, my girl friend informs me that she cannot hear a word I am saying as all she can hear is a static(ish) interference, it is very loud to her. I can hear it also however at a much quiter level. When i press mute (mic) or loudspeaker the noise dissapears.

At this point, please dont flame me for not searching the countless other threads with similar problems, I have done so, just to no avail. Many have said that it is due to the metal tab on the dock assembly that earths it is not correctly in contact with the chrome bezel. It is NOT this, in fact my original dock assembly with the broken home button has not got this earth tab anymore as it snapped off and when i have re-installed that assembly there is no interference. I have also ordered another dock assembly in case the first one i bought was faulty but this also doesnt work. I am lost, i have had my phone open and reassembled countless time, still no joy.

Has anyone else had the same issue, please help me out, this is doing my head in, all the hours I have put in just to get one damn button to work! Shame is such an important button!

Many thanks in advance to all who read this post and to those who reply, any ideas or suggestions are gereatly appreciated.

Tom.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcannon View Post
    Ok, so as title says I have an iphone 3gs which needed a dock replacement. Reason being my back button had failed due to the metal pads on the dock that make the connection to the home button had worn down. Anyway, I replaced the dock assembly and the home button worked, awesome I think, job done. Reassemble the thing and am very happy until I go to make a phone call, my girl friend informs me that she cannot hear a word I am saying as all she can hear is a static(ish) interference, it is very loud to her. I can hear it also however at a much quiter level. When i press mute (mic) or loudspeaker the noise dissapears.

At this point, please dont flame me for not searching the countless other threads with similar problems, I have done so, just to no avail. Many have said that it is due to the metal tab on the dock assembly that earths it is not correctly in contact with the chrome bezel. It is NOT this, in fact my original dock assembly with the broken home button has not got this earth tab anymore as it snapped off and when i have re-installed that assembly there is no interference. I have also ordered another dock assembly in case the first one i bought was faulty but this also doesnt work. I am lost, i have had my phone open and reassembled countless time, still no joy.

Has anyone else had the same issue, please help me out, this is doing my head in, all the hours I have put in just to get one damn button to work! Shame is such an important button!

Many thanks in advance to all who read this post and to those who reply, any ideas or suggestions are gereatly appreciated.

Tom.
    I had the same problem with a phone that I repaired in the past. Guy brought me all the parts and wanted me to put them in. Turns out, he bought a cheap dock from a Chinese vendor. Your best bet is to get a replacement dock that's either OEM or from a trusted equiptment manufacturer such as iFixit.
    Tyler West
    Apple Genius Bar
    Chicago, IL

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PotterFan For This Useful Post:

tomcannon (03-27-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PotterFan View Post
    I had the same problem with a phone that I repaired in the past. Guy brought me all the parts and wanted me to put them in. Turns out, he bought a cheap dock from a Chinese vendor. Your best bet is to get a replacement dock that's either OEM or from a trusted equiptment manufacturer such as iFixit.
    Ok, cheers for that, problem is the two dock replacements I've tried that havent worked were both (apparently) OEM. they had apple and all the serial numbers etc on the ribbons and looked exactly the same as my old one. Are they just fake knock offs? Below is one I bought that didnt work, it says its OEM and to beware of the cheap knock offs, I guess they could be lying though.

GENUINE APPLE iPHONE 3GS COMPLETE DOCK PORT REPLACEMENT on eBay (end time 28-Mar-11 13:07:09 BST)

Any info is greatly appreciated. I was looking at this one below. But dont want to purchase just yet. What does everyone think?

OEM iPhone 3Gs dock assembly mic speaker antenna flex on eBay (end time 12-Apr-11 19:35:44 BST)

Thanks again, Tom.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I never trust anything on eBay that claims to be OEM. Just a general rule of thumb for myself. Some of it may be, but I've had a few that weren't, so it ruined it for me. There are some Chinese manufacturers that can closely replicate anything because of the copyright laws. They may say Apple, but chances are if you didn't buy them from an authorized Apple retailer or a trusted source, you may have gotten non-genuine parts. Make sure of two things though.

1) That you have all connections secured on both the logic board and the dock connector.

2) Make sure that you have the grounding pin against the metal bezel. That could cause some interference if not properly grounded too.
    Tyler West
    Apple Genius Bar
    Chicago, IL