+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dropped in hot chocolate

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
(sorry if i posted in wrong section, wasnt sure)So my friend has dropped his iphone in his hot chocolate the other day, its now havinmg real issues with the speakers
    Thanks

Default Dropped in hot chocolate
    (sorry if i posted in wrong section, wasnt sure)So my friend has dropped his iphone in his hot chocolate the other day, its now havinmg real issues with the speakers when people call, he can hardly hear them. He is in warranty so took it to apple who said try a restore (as he is yet to tell them what realy happend) Im guessing when he tries a resore it wont work so will need apple to take it and repair it. But i think they will see the white tabs have turned red off liquid contact and not give him a new phone. How can he get his phone repaired without having to admit what realy happended as they will not help if he tells the truth will they? thanks guys.

80 views and not 1 reply? lol
    Last edited by Sailor-girl; 03-20-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't think Apple will replace his phone either way. His best bet is to open it up and clean it inside. Maybe take it to a cell phone repair shop that can do it.

Thanks

Really? Apple will see the sticky chocolate on the inside of the iphone. All you're doing is stealing. Tell your friend not to be stupid next time and pay the price.

Twitter: @tshoults

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor-girl View Post
    (sorry if i posted in wrong section, wasnt sure)So my friend has dropped his iphone in his hot chocolate the other day, its now havinmg real issues with the speakers when people call, he can hardly hear them. He is in warranty so took it to apple who said try a restore (as he is yet to tell them what realy happend) Im guessing when he tries a resore it wont work so will need apple to take it and repair it. But i think they will see the white tabs have turned red off liquid contact and not give him a new phone. How can he get his phone repaired without having to admit what realy happended as they will not help if he tells the truth will they? thanks guys.

80 views and not 1 reply? lol
    Apple will not repair it even if there is a small indication that it has water damage. Trust me, they will look profusely for it. If they replace it in the store and they send the old one back to Apple, who decided it was liquid damage, your friend could face charges for the full amount of the new phone. Your best bet is to find a replacement dock connector. They're relatively inexpensive on the internet and take less than 15 minutes to install for an experienced repair technician. Bottom line, don't try to cheat Apple. You will not win.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Simple fix. You don't even have to take it apart.

Get 100% isopropyl alcohol. If you can't find 100% get 99% or just nothing less than 95%.

Put the entire phone into the iso alcohol completely submerged. Of course be sure the phone is off and SIM tray is out.

Then after 15 minutes put it in a bag of rice for a night. Turn it on and see if it works.

If not then it's screwed.

Iso alcohol will get into the device and clean the residue all the while it does not damage the phone at all. The rice will absorb the moisture and residue the alcohol washes out.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,212 Posts

TAke the lcd and digi off first tho!
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yea you would not want to submerge the LCD, unless you have tried it before. It would be a bit risky....

Thanks

thanks guys

Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,212 Posts

No problem good luck
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If after you take it to apple and they refuse to help you out, you could always go the DIY route. Directfix.com has a bunch of videos on youtube as well as on their website that can help you with fixing the phone yourself.