+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Earpiece speaker very quiet after spill. Help?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
thank you sir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 597 Posts

thank you sir

Thanks

I take it that no one has any other ideas of what could possibly be causing this issue? :-/

I saw a tech and he said the speaker is fine.
    He said it seems to be either
    1) the assembly/cable that runs from the motherboard
    or
    2) the actual port on the motherboard itself.

He said that #1 is a DIY repair/replace, but that #2 is probably too advanced for most to repair/replace. Even he wont do that one in most cases.

His final suggestion was to send it to apple for repair because all the liquid spill sensors appear to be intact inside the iPhone so I shouldn't have issue.. Only issue with that is that the replacement iphone 4 will be on the latest firmware and I will lose my unlock. Damn. I hate being in this situation.

So I found the assembly cable. It's the flex that runs from power, sensors such. Found one for $5 on eBay. I'll attempt this final fix before sending it into apple.
    Last edited by reznor9; 03-22-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

let us know how the repair goes man...

Thanks

well guys I just got done putting a new speaker in mine it's still quiet...not nearly as bad but not what it should be. so that's what my results are

Thanks

Havent recieved the part yet and I'm a little more intimidated by this replacement as I think its a bit more difficult but I'll give it a go and let you know.

Thanks

you know what I don't understand is why it is so quiet..no water damage both sides of the speaker connector are touching the logic board where they should. yet it's so quiet I cant hear through it. this is one of those annoying issues that no one can seem to solve. hopefully reznor gets some good results with his next project...good luck again man

Thanks

Well guys last night I tore the ip4 down removed the screen...took out the silver grating where the ear speaker is cleaned it off had a bunch of gunk on it...put it all back together and now it works perfect...hopefully this helps someone...and as always good luck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delutedsoul View Post
    Well guys last night I tore the ip4 down removed the screen...took out the silver grating where the ear speaker is cleaned it off had a bunch of gunk on it...put it all back together and now it works perfect...hopefully this helps someone...and as always good luck
    You took it off? How so... I simply tried using qtip with some alcohol on it to clean but didn't make a difference. Maybe I didn't get in deep enough to clean it? Tell me how you did yours so I can try it before I put on this new part.

Thanks

I followed the screen disassembly on ifixit once I got the screen separated from the middle bezel. and pulled the LCD and digitizer cables through. I turned the screen over so I could see the back of the screen you'll see the mesh screen I simple pulled it off it had some adhesive on it cleaned it off and used some super glue to put it back on let jt dry put it all back together and bam mine works perfect t

Thanks

You inspired me to try to clean it again.
    See when I replaced the speaker I cleaned it from "the inside" of mesh screen really well with alcohol and even used compressed air afterwards. From the inside the qtip had no obstructions so i could get full contact... But sadly no change.

I did clean the outside as well but the qtip couldn't make full contact in that cramped space.. But I thought good enough since I really got the inside well.

Now I thought I would follow your lead and try again... but I've stripped one of the damn screws to get to the speaker. I was so pissed I could scream! Lol

But I decided I'll just put it back together and clean it throughly from the "outside" of the mesh. So I go a qtip and a paperclip and some alcohol and I pushed the cotton from the swap into the speaker hole and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed the heck out of it and it looked like some gunk came off but not an insane amount... I crossed my fingers and what do you know!? It worked!

Thanks for getting me to tackle the problem again before changing another perfectly fine part!!

Case closed! :-D

Thanks

awesome man I'm glad it worked...I just dropped my phone and broke my screen so now I'm off to another repair job anyone know where I can get a good quality screen for a decent prise

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Typically the volume is very low due to moisture and debris trapped behind the speaker mesh. I've dropped two phones into water, and both ran fine with the exception of the low earpiece volume. I tried everything from desiccant to compressed air to fix the issue with no success, then I finally stumbled onto the solution one night when watching a sonicare toothbrush commercial. I figured if a sonic toothbrush can remove plaque by cavitating water then it could probably dislodge/dissolve debris and moisture from a piezoelectric speaker, and it worked perfectly. I fixed two phones after only 60 seconds of sonic toothbrush application to the earpiece mesh. Now I clean my phone earpiece and speakers using the sonic brush at least once a month to remove dust, grease and lint. It works.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Someone should have posted pictures. Would have been a lot easier than using my imagination

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    Someone should have posted pictures. Would have been a lot easier than using my imagination
    Toothbrush over earpiece slot, not much a picture could elaborate on, anyway...
    SUCCESS STORY!!!
    I had the low (about 50% but clear) volume problem on my iphone 4, I bought it on eBay, no signs of water damage. I tried the sonic toothbrush for over 3 mins a few times, no improvement. Dipped the bristles in alcohol, repeated, as results. I had tried to blow it out before the toothbrush, to no avail, this time I cranked up the PSI to over 200 (I have access to Nitrogen, which is dry of oil and clean) and it finally worked, volume back to normal, compared it to my 4s using the same voice memo. I'm not sure if the toothbrush and alcohol were a factor at all, but they might have been. Warning, most air compressors use oil to lubricate and come out through the air, you could make it worse. Some tire shops fill with Nitrogen as do paintball fields, maybe ask around if you could get a quick, concentrated blast for about 10 seconds, as that's about what I did. Good luck.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi,

Just wanted to add my two cents... I spilt hot candle wax on my iPhone 4 earpiece speaker, which made the volume really low and poor quality. My husband followed the iFixit guide to open the iPhone and clean the earpiece, but to no avail. After reading this thread, I tried brushing the outside of the earpiece with a toothbrush, which must've cleaned it more thoroughly because it worked! Volume is back to normal! Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I fixed mine!
    After reading about the experiences here, I tore my phone down and cleaned inside the loud speaker, it's all better too! Good advice, here's some more good advice...don't share your cereal with your iPhone. Haha! Thanks for your help!

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123