Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Earpiece speaker very quiet after spill. Help?

I didn't see any tiny washers when I disassembled the device. :-/ not knowing what is rattling now makes me want to disassemble it tonight. But it would make more sense to wait till speaker comes in. ^^ maybe I'll check tonight though.

You know, it actually snapped in my head what the rattling probably is. I bet it is the old earpiece speaker. In order to remove it and clean it I had to slowly seperate it from it's adhesive. The adhesive was not replaced but reused. I bet it isn't holding and is causing the rattling as it seems to be coming from the area of the earpiece speaker.
    The new one will come with new adhesive so I'll find out if that's the sound soon enough.

I opened the phone back up as curiosity was getting the best of me. I didn't see any lose screws but decided to remove the top one in question anyways and reinsert it just in case. Rattling seems to be coming from speaker as I suspected. I then closed up the phone and reset network setting and wifi is restored. Speaker still bad though. But at least wifi is back. :-)
    Last edited by reznor9; 03-16-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

good news

lets hope the new speaker does the trick

Hopefully
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Just got home and see the speaker has arrived. So I'll begin the teardown in a while after I feed my kids. Crossing my fingers for success as it's driving my crazy in it's current state.

The disassembly and installation went smoothly...Sadly it did not solve my issue.
    Oddly enough I still hear that rattle In the general area of the ear speaker. And I'm pretty damn sure I screwed all the screws in correctly. The speaker should be sitting well enough so it shouldn't be moving. What the heck could be the reason for the low volume and the rattle I'm hearing? Any ideas?
    I'll probably break down tomorrow and take it to one of the local cellphone repair places because this is the fourth time I've had to take it apart this week and it's driving me nuts and I'm out of ideas.

Thanks

how is the speaker connected to the board?
    contacts? Flex?
    make sure that is all clean.

my last idea

Thanks

Change it

It's via contacts. I've followed the ifixit tutorial and used a windex like degreaser on all metal to metal contact points. It remains a mystery. Must be associated with that rattle noise I assume. But WTF is it coming from. ^^
    Im tired of taking it apart in fear I'll eventually break something.

Not for me. The sound is exactly the same. So in my case it's something else. I just don't know what. Frustrates me. I kinda expected these results. Like I said I read two similar stories and in both cases replacing the ear speaker did not fix the sound issue. And in both cases the topic dropped off with no resolution. So if anyone has any other recommendations let me know
    Last edited by reznor9; 03-19-2011 at 08:57 PM.

I hope for the best in your case. Do you need the link to the iPhone 4 step by step teardown for earspeaker replacement?
    Last edited by reznor9; 03-19-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Here it is. Just take your time and read the user notes as well.

Installing iPhone 4 Earpiece Speaker - iFixit

Thanks

If you restore they cannot tell!

I take it that no one has any other ideas of what could possibly be causing this issue? :-/

I saw a tech and he said the speaker is fine.
    He said it seems to be either
    1) the assembly/cable that runs from the motherboard
    or
    2) the actual port on the motherboard itself.

He said that #1 is a DIY repair/replace, but that #2 is probably too advanced for most to repair/replace. Even he wont do that one in most cases.

His final suggestion was to send it to apple for repair because all the liquid spill sensors appear to be intact inside the iPhone so I shouldn't have issue.. Only issue with that is that the replacement iphone 4 will be on the latest firmware and I will lose my unlock. Damn. I hate being in this situation.

So I found the assembly cable. It's the flex that runs from power, sensors such. Found one for $5 on eBay. I'll attempt this final fix before sending it into apple.
    Last edited by reznor9; 03-22-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 606 Posts

let us know how the repair goes man...

Thanks

well guys I just got done putting a new speaker in mine it's still quiet...not nearly as bad but not what it should be. so that's what my results are

Havent recieved the part yet and I'm a little more intimidated by this replacement as I think its a bit more difficult but I'll give it a go and let you know.

Thanks

you know what I don't understand is why it is so quiet..no water damage both sides of the speaker connector are touching the logic board where they should. yet it's so quiet I cant hear through it. this is one of those annoying issues that no one can seem to solve. hopefully reznor gets some good results with his next project...good luck again man

Thanks

Well guys last night I tore the ip4 down removed the screen...took out the silver grating where the ear speaker is cleaned it off had a bunch of gunk on it...put it all back together and now it works perfect...hopefully this helps someone...and as always good luck

Quote Originally Posted by delutedsoul View Post
    Well guys last night I tore the ip4 down removed the screen...took out the silver grating where the ear speaker is cleaned it off had a bunch of gunk on it...put it all back together and now it works perfect...hopefully this helps someone...and as always good luck
    You took it off? How so... I simply tried using qtip with some alcohol on it to clean but didn't make a difference. Maybe I didn't get in deep enough to clean it? Tell me how you did yours so I can try it before I put on this new part.

Thanks

I followed the screen disassembly on ifixit once I got the screen separated from the middle bezel. and pulled the LCD and digitizer cables through. I turned the screen over so I could see the back of the screen you'll see the mesh screen I simple pulled it off it had some adhesive on it cleaned it off and used some super glue to put it back on let jt dry put it all back together and bam mine works perfect t

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast