+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tips on fixing the mute button?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok, so I've disassembled and repaired a few iPhone 3G and 3GS phones, and ive become pretty familiar with the hardware layout but cannot for the life of me put
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Tips on fixing the mute button?
    Ok, so I've disassembled and repaired a few iPhone 3G and 3GS phones, and ive become pretty familiar with the hardware layout but cannot for the life of me put the mute button back together properly.

On several occasions I have sad there fiddling with the thing for a couple hours or so, and even when I finally get it to stay in place, it's aways loose and doesn't work properly when the phone is back together.

Are there any tips or ticks to it? Some way to actually get it working without loosing my mind? Lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,809 Times in 2,187 Posts

Is the switches prong broken?
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's a bit tricky and I fiddled with these several times. Try turning the the phone vertically while seating the plastic bracket to prevent the button from falling out. Also, try to push the bracket down at an angle and then rotate it down slightly. It needs to seat into a little groove. You'll know that its right because the button should function smoothly with just your index finger holding the bracket in place without the screws. Good luck.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, well it looks like it just takes tons of practice then. I always think I have it right because the button will click up and down, but when the phone boots it won't stay on mute unless I hold it part way with my finger.

Thanks for the advice

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I read your reply and I realized that I may have given you a bit of warped response. I often use the power/sleep button to mute incoming calls, but I realize now that I misread your post and you're having issues with the vibrate/mute switch. Bollocks. So sorry. Anyhow... the advice is not entirely different, because the angle is important when inserting the internal switch into the back of the external button, but there is another tip or two...

(1) mate the button and switch in the mute position (down) to make the insertion easier (sounds dirty)

(2) tear off a teeny tiny bit of foam from the top of the camera and shove it into the "well" in the back of the button that holds the internal switch (this seems to allow a better grip)

(3) make sure that the internal switch is glued or melted onto the metal bracket - if it's not secure the switch will feel mushy

When I'm Good, I'm Very Good iGood's Avatar
    Thanks

Why didn't you just send it to apple to fix it? Why go thought this hassle.