+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Water Damage [HELP]

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Here's my problem. I have a 3GS that was dropped in water just briefly. I took the phone apart and clean all the parts with alcohol and dried them out.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Water Damage [HELP]
    Here's my problem.
    I have a 3GS that was dropped in water just briefly. I took the phone apart and clean all the parts with alcohol and dried them out. When I put the phone back together everything works fine but the LCD is real white with lines running down it can see the screen very faintly in the background so I know it's functional other then that phone even makes and receives calls.
    What I've tried:
    I've change the digitizer and LCD and still have the same issue. CAN ANYONE HELP?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,875 Times in 2,214 Posts

HAve you tried doing a restore after replacing the lcd?
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I restored it but don't think I did it with the new LCD. I'll try that and let you know. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,875 Times in 2,214 Posts

No problem lmk
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So I replaced the LCD and restored my phone and the screen looks the same

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mrdabbas's Avatar
    Thanks

That doesn't sound good
    The water might have damaged the prongs on the LCD connector on the mother board

It's a common problem that needs soldering
    Itll cost too much so I suggest selling as is

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

you might not need to solder. It might just be corroded in the connectors. Buy a can of CRC it is electrical component contact cleaner. Spray some in there. and very gently try and scrape away any visible corrosion in the connectors. It could be that simple. Its very difficult to do that kind of soldering, it is very tiny surface mount soldering so that should be a last resort. If possible, pm me with some high res pictures of the board and the connectors and i can help you out. I repair water damaged iphones all the time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'll try that. I guess radio shack would have it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi there
    This might sound funny but true, my friend's iPhone 4 was acting real crazy, it turns on only when charging n u cannot make calls, so it just does nothing except for charging, after careful observation I noticed big white patches on the Lower half of the screen extending as thin lines to top 1/3rd of the screen, I realized it should be water n I'm not much of a technician but still the sun was out that day, so I put it a while under hot sun, surprisingly the white lines gradually disappeared n the phone started working perfectly fine, after out under sun in my backyard for about 3-4 hrs it lost all those patches n worked perfectly fine, honestly this did work for me...hope this may help...cheers

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocrat View Post
    Hi there
    This might sound funny but true, my friend's iPhone 4 was acting real crazy, it turns on only when charging n u cannot make calls, so it just does nothing except for charging, after careful observation I noticed big white patches on the Lower half of the screen extending as thin lines to top 1/3rd of the screen, I realized it should be water n I'm not much of a technician but still the sun was out that day, so I put it a while under hot sun, surprisingly the white lines gradually disappeared n the phone started working perfectly fine, after out under sun in my backyard for about 3-4 hrs it lost all those patches n worked perfectly fine, honestly this did work for me...hope this may help...cheers
    thats totally different. That is moisture. And the 3gs is a whole world different from an iphone 4. The iphone 4 has glass that is fused with the lcd. built in a completely different way also so that would not be relevant. Honestly. I repair water damage daily, and i have totally different methods for each type of idevice. Good thought though