Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mod DisplayPort from Summer '10 MBP to Thunderbolt

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Mod DisplayPort from Summer '10 MBP to Thunderbolt
    Is it possible to make the mod from the previous generation of MBP's DisplayPort to the new Thunderbolt port?

I bought my 15" MBP last summer and it's almost perfect for me, but I'd love to see if it's possible to implement the new Thunderbolt in my current MBP without purchasing a new laptop.

Any and all insight on this is appreciated, thanks.

This was my first post and I thought posting in 'Hardware Mods' was a general subject. Didn't realize it was in the iPhone forum so if a Moderator could move the thread to the Mac Mod section I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by AfterMercyFM; 02-27-2011 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Wrong sub-forum.

Well I guess that it would not be possiable due to the fact that the thunderbolt parts Will have some kind of hardware, which is not present in the older macbooks..
    Last edited by Renejos; 02-27-2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    My question is mainly directed toward the modding of the hardware. Specifically, acquiring a Thunderbolt port and replacing the DisplayPort in my current MBP. I understand it would take a lot of know-how but just curious if it is possible.

its probably part of the main board, thus cant be upgraded. also i thought there is no hardware that supports this yet?

You would properly have to redesigning most of the logic to implement it, so in other words you might be better of by just buying a new MBP

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by akafred View Post
    its probably part of the main board, thus cant be upgraded. also i thought there is no hardware that supports this yet?
    I just found an external hard drive that supports it. But I suppose if I did anything I could just sell my current one for a new one if it came down to it.

Thanks guys.