Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: White iPhone 3GS Screen Conversion... What's Needed?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Nopstnz8's Avatar
    Thanks

Question White iPhone 3GS Screen Conversion... What's Needed?
    Ok so I am planning to eventually order a white screen with the digitizer from SW Box, and since I don't have a backup phone, I'm planning to basically assemble the entire front panel minus the LC, then just doing a simple swap of screens since the parts are so cheap. Unfortunately, since the screen doesn't come with a everything you need, I'm trying to figure out what parts make up the front panel? I know you need obviously the screen and digitizer, midframe with home button and flex cable, but what else? Is the proximity sensor also in the front assembly? How does the speaker get attached and connected to the logic board? If someone wouldn't mind listing all the parts I would need to do this, that'd be greatly appreciated. And yes I have searched a ton on this, but no one seems to go too much into detail about it.

Here is the panel I'll be ordering with the home button.

iPhone 3GS Digitizer Touch Panel Screen + Home Button Key - White -*US $19.54*:*sw-box.com

Does it really matter if you order a white or black midframe? It doesn't seem like you'll be able to tell what color it is anyways once the screen is on.

Once you have the digitiser (with flex cables!) and home button you're good to go.

All you need then is your midframe, LCD and metal LCD support.

If you're taking an original iPhone 3GS screen assembly off, just use the LCD, midframe and metal LCD support from that.

Follow the digitiser replacement guide on ifixit(dot)com and pay special attention to the part where you have to take the original digitiser off the midframe with a heat gun.

It's quite straight forward, but don't rush in and pay special attention to flex cables and other sensitive parts! you should have no problem!

Oh, and that White digitiser unit on sw-box should have the light sensor built in

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iamkadaj For This Useful Post:

Nopstnz8 (02-23-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iamkadaj View Post
    Once you have the digitiser (with flex cables!) and home button you're good to go.

All you need then is your midframe, LCD and metal LCD support.

If you're taking an original iPhone 3GS screen assembly off, just use the LCD, midframe and metal LCD support from that.

Follow the digitiser replacement guide on ifixit(dot)com and pay special attention to the part where you have to take the original digitiser off the midframe with a heat gun.

It's quite straight forward, but don't rush in and pay special attention to flex cables and other sensitive parts! you should have no problem!

Oh, and that White digitiser unit on sw-box should have the light sensor built in
    Thanks. I just changed my mind and realized that taking the LCD out from the screen involves breaking it, which I don't want to do just incase I ever want to go back to OEM. As we both know, this makes matters a little more complicated, but what else would I need now? Basically, on that note, I'm trying to now find out EXACTLY what components are needed for the front assembly to make it from scratch?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitsue View Post
    Yeah that would be the most ideal, but I'm concerned about quality and fitment. Yours looks really good though. Is this the case? Did you order from that seller? If so, I'm buying it!

your buying a after market part. You only wasted $20 if you don't like it. I like mines all white.

Thanks

Yeah I know. How's the fitment and quality though? Is it close to OEM?

The white home button color is off a little. I use some tape to cover some of the sections like my original glass. It's pretty close to OEM, but apple don't make this color.

Thanks

The white home button color is off a little. I use some tape to cover some of the sections like my original glass. It's pretty close to OEM, but apple don't make this color.
    Does the button match the faceplate? The front and back panel are slightly off though? That's not a huge issue for me. And what exactly did you put tape over?

I taped over the home button. Take off your screen and look at all the taped areas

Thanks

Oh ok. So you're talking about taping things internally, right? Like where adhesives are?

The back side of the home button has some black tape.

Just get the whole assembly in white. It'll save you a lot of time. If you don't like the quality, just send it back to seller.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbounce View Post
    Just get the whole assembly in white. It'll save you a lot of time. If you don't like the quality, just send it back to seller.
    That's what I'm actually planning to do, but thanks.

Thanks

Ok guys I'm looking for this, but don't want to wait 2-3 weeks to get it. It must be high quality and around this price. I see Gadgetfix has it in California, but it's $40. Anyone know where I can order it with fast shipping?

http://cgi.ebay.com/White-Touch-Scre...#ht_3611wt_952

Here is a pic of where to remove the film
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0031-1.jpg   -img_0032-1.jpg  

Thanks

Here is a pic of where to remove the film
    Thanks, but as sad as it sounds, the one I ordered never had that tab anywhere, only for the film outside the display. If you wouldn't mind, could you find me one in white that has the tab, which is located in the USA on Ebay or such? I think I'd rather buy the entire assembly minus the LCD again.

I found this, but can't tell

White iphone 3Gs LCD Touch Screen Digitizer Glass lens - eBay (item 140495935923 end time Mar-31-11 10:28:43 PDT)

Actually this looks like the one

White Touch Screen Digitizer & Adhesive For iPhone 3Gs - eBay (item 200589495395 end time Apr-20-11 13:32:40 PDT)

EDIT: I actually went ahead and just bought the above. Wish me luck. Lol
    Last edited by Nopstnz8; 03-22-2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

So I've noticed the home button really sucks on this white midframe, I think it's the ribbon connector as well, but since I plan to replace the midframe anyways, should I just go with the OEM one? I even put tape on the back of the button, but it still sticks at times and isn't as snappy as the OEM one.

Parts are not OEM. Use it a little and see if the helps

Thanks

Parts are not OEM. Use it a little and see if the helps
    I know. I meant if I use an OEM or higher quality midframe and home button flex, it should work way better, right? My only issue is the button getting stuck. Everything else, like the feel, isn't as important. It felt like there was some play in it, like if you press in a corner, it seems more responsive. IDK. I'm back on OEM at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast