Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 touchscreen problem

Default iPhone 4 touchscreen problem
    Hi guys,
    Last week, I got my iPhone replaced at the Apple Store and I've noticed there is a problem with the touchscreen. At times, parts of the touchscreen will become unresponsive. This normally goes away after locking my iPhone or rebooting it. The phone is usable, but it's annoying. I've tried restoring, unjailbreaking all of those things and none work. The problem doesn't come up very much so I'm afraid if I go to Apple again a week later, the problem will probably not come up, and I'll look crazy, so should I give it time to see if it gets worse, or is there a way I can get it replaced without having to show my problem?
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Just go to them and tell them the problem. They should look at it. You want an iphone that works right away not one that will not turn on when touched
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

but it works most of the time, it's rare when it doesn't work. And it goes away when i lock it. So would they take it back if they couldn't even see the problems?
    Name? whereswaldo
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

I would call them first and see if they can fix it without taking it in. I would also suggest a restore seeing as though it may just be that the firmware is just a little bit corrupt.
    Dude T.M.I

yes.... complete DFU restore with firmware seperately downloaded from itunes... you can find firmware here:
    iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download
    download the firmware needed for your phone, and put your phone into DFU mode. Then shift-click(pc) or option-click(mac) the restore button in iTunes, and target the downloaded firmware file and let itunes do its thing. make sure to also clear out your hosts file prior to doing this, unles you are trying to preserve baseband or something. post back if this doesnt work!

i've tried a restore, but not with a different firmware. the firmware on this worked on my past iPhone, but should i still do it, cause i hate having to rejailbreak again
    Name? whereswaldo
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Use Z's opnbackup
    Dude T.M.I

i've just noticed that when itunes downloads your firmware for you, it gets corrupted about 15% of the time. and it will keep re-using that corruped IPSW until you physically delete it, but you can download new firmware from the aforementioned website, and it always comes clean and intact.

but i'm using the firmware it came with, and i do use Z's package
    Name? whereswaldo
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

i understand you are using the firmware it came with, but this may just be a firmware error. Just reload fresh firmware. a DFU restore wipes EVERYTHING on the the phone (to include the firmware) and re-installs it from the file that you select. even if you are on 4.2.1 and re-loading 4.2.1, doing so with DFU mode and a different source firmware file may help.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Is this a 3GS or 4? I would imagine if so that it wouldn't experience lag or freezes or very minimal at least. I'm leaning towards a hardware thing. Unsure though. I can understand that it gets annoying. I think you should just tell them this replacement is experiencing that issue asap. Waiting would probably make them think you are just wanting another phone again.

it's a 4. so to do a DFU restore, i put it in DFU, shift+click the restore button and click the firmware i downloaded and that's it?
    Name? whereswaldo
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Yup
    Dude T.M.I

that didn't work, i booked a genius appointment for the second time in the last week
    Name? whereswaldo
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

ok, they replaced it. All good!
    Name? whereswaldo
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Ok thats good!!!!
    Dude T.M.I