Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3g Touchscreen & Charging problem [Hardware]

Exclamation Iphone 3g Touchscreen & Charging problem [Hardware]
    hey all!
    Yesterday i opened my iphone because my iphone didnīt charge. i thought that an internal cable was unplugged and i wanted to fix that.
    i opened it and 2 (#2,#3) of the 3 connector at the top got unplugged. #4 was plugged in so i was bit confused. isnt this connector responsible for charging and syncing?
    well i plugged all connectors in and closed the iphone.
    i started my iphone but the touchscreen only works at the top half of the screen. Sbsetting work but i cant unlock it. i got to springboard using ssh-command "restart" and there i also couldnīt touch the icon dock.
    The Charging Problem isnīt solved yet....
    btw...it tells me that i have 100% battery and it doesnt go below 100%...strange ^^
    Every connector is plugged in well.
    Please help. Thanks

Be very careful when opening iPhones. Cable 3 should not come loose when opening an iPhone carefully.
    To get the battery percentage to register properly, do a Hard Reset: hold power and home buttons at same time, do not let go until the iPhone begins to reboot with white apple showing. Holding both buttons should only take about 15 seconds.

This hard reset may also fix your touch screen digitizer problem. If your touch screen is still not completely responsive after the hard reset, I would carefully open the iPhone again and reconnect cable #2 making sure it is set perfect.

If this does not help, you may need to replace your touch screen digitizer.

Good luck.

Brad

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 805 93003 For This Useful Post:

lukas0x33 (02-13-2011)

update:
    the 100% bug fixed...havent done anything xDD
    now it only doesnt charge and the touch isnīt working well.

your dock connector may be broken or a restore may be needed. if itunes can't pick it up it probably is the dock connector

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stray For This Useful Post:

lukas0x33 (02-13-2011)

well the problem is that my sleep button doesnt work...only sometimes. but i have to press it very hard ;(
    it is not recognised by itunes so the dock connector is broken..-.-

you may have to replace that too.

will that repair be expensive?

I bought the connector for about 10 dollars and repaired it myself.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stray For This Useful Post:

lukas0x33 (02-13-2011)

Before you replace the dock connector. They get very dirty, lint and even corrosion will get in there. First remove all lint and debris from the connector port. Then using isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol clean the port very well, including the contacts in there. Let it dry, maybe a minute or two and give it another try. Also make sure you have a good USB cable.

To get the power/sleep button to work better, hold that corner tightly, pinch the glass against the back casing with your fingers. Then push the power button. Really you are just pushing the back case and the bezel together better.

Good luck,

Brad

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 805 93003 For This Useful Post:

lukas0x33 (02-13-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by STRAYunINFIDEL View Post
    I bought the connector for about 10 dollars and repaired it myself.
    Good! where can i buy that?

Quote Originally Posted by 805 93003 View Post
    Before you replace the dock connector. They get very dirty, lint and even corrosion will get in there. First remove all lint and debris from the connector port. Then using isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol clean the port very well, including the contacts in there. Let it dry, maybe a minute or two and give it another try. Also make sure you have a good USB cable.

To get the power/sleep button to work better, hold that corner tightly, pinch the glass against the back casing with your fingers. Then push the power button. Really you are just pushing the back case and the bezel together better.

Good luck,

Brad
    Tomorrow i try cleaning the port.
    Thanks for this tip! worked!!

UPDATE:
    I couldnīt wait till tomorrow so i did it now^^
    there was some dirt in it and i got it out. now the iphone charges (DDD) YEAH
    BUT ...: itunes doesnt recognise it. i tried 3 usb cables and different pcīs...-.-

what about the touch-sensor? This is my biggest problem now^^
    Last edited by lukas0x33; 02-13-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

From amazon.com I got it from "theoemplanet"

To get iTunes to recognize your iPhone, clean the port better with the alcohol.

Or in iTunes, with iPhone connected by the USB cable with iTunes open select last item at top "Help" scroll down to "Run Diagnostics" and select it and then run the tests for the iPhone. This should get the iPhone in contact with iTunes again.

Good luck,

Brad