+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G stuck in recovery mode; Recover data while its in recovery mode?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello all, My iPhone 3G is in odd condition right now. It would just stuck in recovery mode with the "connect to itunes" screen. I have tried numerous tools such
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G stuck in recovery mode; Recover data while its in recovery mode?
    Hello all,

My iPhone 3G is in odd condition right now. It would just stuck in recovery mode with the "connect to itunes" screen. I have tried numerous tools such as iRecovery shell and TinyUmbrella to get out of the recovery mode. Well I think I was able to get my iPhone 3G get out of the recovery mode, but upon reboot, it would just automatically reboot again and get on recovery mode again. This is really odd.

The precursor to the problem: It just happened suddenly. I was using the phone, then pressed the sleep mode, then afterwards I noticed upon pressing the sleeping mode, the recovery mode screen was showing up. Until then, it has been no luck to get it out of the dreaded recovery mode.

iTunes does recognize the phone and states that the phone is in recovery mode and would require a restore. The thing is, I don't want to restore yet. I want to recover and backup my data first from the iPhone before doing a full restore.

What should I do to get out of the data from the stuck iPhone 3G?? I wish it could get out of the recovery mode, but if it can't, is there some way to recover the data inside the iPhone while its in recovery mode or not starting up normally?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This same exact problem occured on my phone yesterday also. I'm using a 3GS firmware 4.0 jailbroken using limerain. I stupidly never backed it up and don't have any SHSH blobs saved. I tried using tinyumbrella, recboot and limerain to get it out of recovery but each time it seems to work but when the phone reboots it goes right back into recovery. Does anyone know how info can be recovered off the phone or have any other ideas of getting it out of recovery? Thanks for the help.

EDIT: just realized this was posted under hardware, that's probably why no one is responding.
    Last edited by OHH NOES; 02-05-2011 at 09:23 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OHH NOES View Post
    This same exact problem occured on my phone yesterday also. I'm using a 3GS firmware 4.0 jailbroken using limerain. I stupidly never backed it up and don't have any SHSH blobs saved. I tried using tinyumbrella, recboot and limerain to get it out of recovery but each time it seems to work but when the phone reboots it goes right back into recovery. Does anyone know how info can be recovered off the phone or have any other ideas of getting it out of recovery? Thanks for the help.

EDIT: just realized this was posted under hardware, that's probably why no one is responding.
    Yup, I've tried all those tools too, recboot, blackrain, tinyumbrella, iRecovery shell, and etc with no luck. It seems like the phone would always reboot into recovery mode no matter what I do. For example, I can say that the commands I entered via iRecovery shell are working and when I enter "reboot" the phone would immediately reboot, however the phone would just reboot again into recovery mode. First it shows the apple logo, then suddenly blinked and rebooted into apple logo again and then recovery mode with the itunes logo. The misery part is that I have not backed up my iPhone in almost 1/2 YEARS

It seems that there is something that preventing the iPhone to boot normally or to enter into normal mode...like a corrupted file system or whatver, perhaps?

Mods, perhaps you could move this to appropriate section where it may be more accessible/exposed to more people. We needed all the help we could find. Thanks!

Edit: I am running iOS 4.1 and jailbroken mine using Pwnage
    Last edited by somnusica; 02-05-2011 at 11:11 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You can try a program called IFunBox.

I haz a number
    Thanks

This is to give those with more knowledge an idea. If an expert agrees then go for it.

When Redsn0w jailbreaks it leaves the phone basically untouched. Maybe a try with Redsn0w will do the trick.

But first check with experts. It could make things worse, possibly. But if you have no other options, try Redsn0w.

Good luck,

Brad

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So basically just plugin my iPhone to comp and run Redsnow? What does this accomplish exactly? Restoring the OS? Thats the problem...all the data will be wiped and OS restored anew...

Is there a way to fix the recovery mode without restoring?

iFunBox can only detect running iPhones, not iPhones under recovery mode, no?
    Last edited by somnusica; 02-18-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is insane!!! Im having the same problem. I downgraded my 3g from 4.2.1 to 3.1.3 and itunes gave me an error, i believe it was 1015. I wasnt shocked though because ive downgraded before and got this problem, id use tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery and it would finish the downgrade. But this time, nothing is working. recboot, tiny, blackrain, irecovery, redsn0w,nothing!! My wifes and my sons pictures are on here and I need them! I feel so guilty not backing up and saving the pics. I am pretty sure the data is still on the phone because when I run tiny, the iphones name still appears. HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default same problem
    yo i got the exact same problem... i think apple may have changed something and now you cant go back

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi guys, I'm having the same troubles as the OP.

I've tried all the stuff listed in this thread from redsnow to tinyumbrella to iphonerecoveryfix

I still get the dreaded screen that wants me to plug in to itunes.

I haven't even jailbroken my phone!

Is there a way to remove the hard drive from the iphone and pull data off manually - I've done this with pc and laptop hd's before, using a usb device.

Thoughts?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minting View Post
    Before you jailbreak your iphone,backup SMS messages,Contacts,Call lists,games,video,song playlists,photo to computer,backup iphone to PC or Mac in HERE

No, no, no.

I don't have a backup within the past two years. (I know I know). I have tried to do a backup, but kept getting sync / erase warnings, so I didn't back it up.

Anyway, without a backup, I don't want to allow it to restore.

I'd like to back it up now BEFORE I do the restore.

How to Fix the iPhone’s Dreaded Recovery Loop and Downgrade Back to iOS 4.3.3

These instructions are helpful, but unfortunately didn't work for me.

Anyone else have an idea how to get an iphone to boot up in this situation so I can get my photos and text messages, contacts, etc off of there before I do a restore of the ios?

I'm stuck in recovery mode with the "connect to itunes" screen just like the OP.