Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Proximity Sensor Problem

Default Proximity Sensor Problem
    Problem: Okay.. for some reason or another, my iphone 3g is no longer sensing my face when I am talking on the phone.

It is a frustrating issue when you're talking to someone and all of the sudden you're partially deaf because your cheek hit the speaker button...or when you're hung up on because the other person no longer thinks you're there b/c your cheek hit mute and they stopped hearing what you were saying to them a long time ago!

Well,I think my problem started with one of those zagg screen/body protectors. So I took the screen off to see if that was the issue. Even without the screen, it doesn't work. I've tried messing with my headphone jack, and that doesn't change anything either.

I am really not comfortable trying to replace my sensor myself. I can't really find a "How to" video. I only found that one guy on youtube doing it, and he doesn't even show that all that man handling he did to his phone actually worked.

Question: Could it be a software issue? I read something about resetting the network...although I'm sure that would undo my jailbreak?

If I do end up replacing the proximity sensor, where is the best place to buy the part? Any tips on removing/replacing it?

Resting the network setting will not undo your jailbreak. Sw-box or muchbuy.com is a good place to get the sensor. Also what phone do you have? I maybe able to get you a better video or write up on it
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Ok ill look for a vid or a manual to do it. ITs not that difficult

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Ok you right there isnt a good manual or anything on the interent i might make one the next time i get a 3g or a 3gs in my hands. But here is a run down pretty much

First thing is to get the screen off the phone.
    Undo the 2 screws on the bottom of the phone next to the dock connector
    Use a suction cup( preferred) and lift the screen up gently
    Un to the 3 cable first 2 pop off the second there is a little latch, and take the screen assembly completely out.
    Now there is going to be 6 screws on the screen assembly that you will need to take out. (3 on the left side),(2 on the right side) and on up top right of the lcd screen)
    Gently lift the lcd out of place.
    Now to get the proximity cable out is pretty easy just take your time.
    You will see a little metel backing next to all the ribbons what you are going to need to do is pop it off. Just make sure not to bend it or anything. Once you get it popped off the ribbon will come with it.
    The ribbon is pretty much hep on by double sided tape so just peel it off.
    Take the new ribbon and pull the tape off and stick it back on the metel place making sure the the two little holes line up. ( you will see more on what i am talking about when you have the parts.)
    Now just pop it back into place and And reassemble the phone.
    After that turn the phone on and make a test call with it and everything should be working.

thanks a lot! I'll go ahead and order my parts.

No problem let me know when you get it and start to replace it ill help you if you run into problems

Okay cool.. is there a such thing as a housing for iphone 3g that has a light up apple logo on the back? i keep seeing it pics and videos of ppl that claim to have it, but its not available anywhere. i even saw a forum post on here with some guy allegedly giving them away. have you seen anyone with one?

He is the only person I know that has them

Those are custom made. I think it started in Russia a few years ago.

Yeah I saw some videos and a blog or two. I think there are some floating around Japan too. I want one.

Hello! Since I dropped my iPhone 3GS in the water some months ago I have exactly the same problem, except that the light sensor doesn't work either(and when I turn it in manual mode to low the backlight goes completely away).

Today I finally had the courage to take it apart to replace the battery which also degenerated quit a lot.
    On an other site I read the tip that I should clean the connection between the light and proximity sensor flex cable and the motherboard with isopropyl alcohol which I did.
    Unfortunately this didn't work. As plan b I ordered the flex cable.
    Thanks Westerman your instructions, but while disassembling I got stuck on this folded black piece of metal.
    I could remove two of the latches on one side but not the last one.
    Do you have any tips? Thanks!

Okay, so I finally got my sensor, switched it, and it still doesn't work. What else can be wrong?

iPhone? More like MyPhone krazy's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey Ritz, check your connector to see if it has lifted or broke in any place. Another thing is, I would guess it is your ribbon. I go through sometimes 2-3 of the ribbons when doing customer phones just because they have a ton of defective ones. I have to order extra when I place orders because of this. You may have gotten a bad one. Contact me if you need me to check it out for you, I do this on a daily basis.
    How to fix #3 CONNECTORS:
    http://hectordtruong.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the offer krazy. I read that it could be a jailbreak issue so I opted to dl call lock from cydia instead. It let's you lock the screen. I dont feel like messing with that sensor anymore. It was a pain to get off. Now my digitizer is all scratched. And it still doesn't work. Not to mention all the issues i had just trying to get a sensor. The first sensor I ordered was defective, the second one got lost in mail system. The third didn't even fix the prob. So I quit. Call lock works fine.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krazy's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds good, Ill be here if you ever change your mind though. I know how much of a pain that damn proximity sensor can be.
    How to fix #3 CONNECTORS:
    http://hectordtruong.blogspot.com/