+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Water Damaged Screen

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I dropped my iphone 4 in the toilet about 5 days ago. I immediately but the phone in a bag of rice for 4 days. When I took it out
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone Water Damaged Screen
    I dropped my iphone 4 in the toilet about 5 days ago. I immediately but the phone in a bag of rice for 4 days. When I took it out I tried to turn it on but nothing. Then I tried plugging it into my computer and nothing happened aswell. I left the phone plugged into the computer for about half an hour then all of a sudden the computer reccongized my phone. I then plugged my phone into an outlet and it made the chargeing sound. I thought my phone was going to be okay but then suddenly I realized that my screen was not coming on. You have to turn the phone at a certain angle to BARLEY see a part of the screen. The strange part is the touchscreen still works. Will this problem get any better or will I have to replace the screen?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xX0v3rki11Xx View Post
    I dropped my iphone 4 in the toilet about 5 days ago. I immediately but the phone in a bag of rice for 4 days. When I took it out I tried to turn it on but nothing. Then I tried plugging it into my computer and nothing happened aswell. I left the phone plugged into the computer for about half an hour then all of a sudden the computer reccongized my phone. I then plugged my phone into an outlet and it made the chargeing sound. I thought my phone was going to be okay but then suddenly I realized that my screen was not coming on. You have to turn the phone at a certain angle to BARLEY see a part of the screen. The strange part is the touchscreen still works. Will this problem get any better or will I have to replace the screen?
    Well its 1 of 3 things.. or all 3 things lol

Bad LCD
    Bad LCD connector on the mainboard (which is pretty much not fixable)
    or bad board

It's pricey to trouble shoot also.. you could buy a new screen and swamp it out but if its not the screen then you are kinda SOL.

Take the back off and lift up the connectors for the screen. If they are corroded at the mainboard most likely it's not gonna be fixable.

I'll buy it from you if you can't fix it
    Last edited by iRepairIndy; 01-09-2011 at 10:35 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think it's a problem with the backlight. You have to shine direct light onto the screen to see anything.

Good news, the phone restart itself and magicaly worked again. The only thing thats wrong now is it shuts off when I try to open some apps and when I try to turn the camera on the phone shuts off and restarts. Hopefully this problem will fix itself aswell. ^.^
    Last edited by xX0v3rki11Xx; 01-09-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

It may get worse with time. Water damage can seem like nothing at first but then the corrosion starts which can cause everything to quit working. I would advise taking it apart and cleaning it very carefully and well with (over 90%) rubbing alcohol.

I also would be interested if you can't get it to work.
    Last edited by R1futly; 01-09-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

Or if you get very, very, very, very, very lucky the water sensors did not trigger and you can try and get apple to replace it

Green Apple
    Thanks

Getting a water damaged phone replaced isn't hard

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My phone is still shutting off at times and doesn't appear to be getting better. Where could I go to get this phone fixed for less than I bought it for?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

If you have an apple store nearby you can see if they'll replace it. Just make sure not to mention anything about the incident.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't live near an apple store. Should I leave my phone in rice for a couple days? Would that fix the restarting problem?

Where would be a good place to get my phone fix for less than how much the phone really is?
    Last edited by xX0v3rki11Xx; 01-12-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Where to take it will depend on where you live. I know somewhere but it's in Miami, so I am not sure what to tell you. You can also look on eBay at how much they sell for so you can have an idea of how much it's worth like that

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mrdabbas's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree eBay gets u top $ for your damaged iPhone.. Especially the 4g

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Here's something to try for a minimum amount of money. The water probably has left some minerals behind that is stuck in crevices, causing the instability. You'll want to wash out the residue. Get isopropyl alcohol, nothing below 95%, if you can even get 99% it would be best. Simply set your device into it completely submerged for 15 minutes. Set back into rice for a night or two. The alcohol will wash and push out the minerals left behind and the rice will facilitate by absorbing it out.

If you're hesitant to place your device in iso alcohol, that's fine don't do it. But I have done this before and it completely fixed my phone which was flickering violently whenever I turned it on.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Here's something to try for a minimum amount of money. The water probably has left some minerals behind that is stuck in crevices, causing the instability. You'll want to wash out the residue. Get isopropyl alcohol, nothing below 95%, if you can even get 99% it would be best. Simply set your device into it completely submerged for 15 minutes. Set back into rice for a night or two. The alcohol will wash and push out the minerals left behind and the rice will facilitate by absorbing it out.

If you're hesitant to place your device in iso alcohol, that's fine don't do it. But I have done this before and it completely fixed my phone which was flickering violently whenever I turned it on.
    +1

it won't make it any worse, it can either help or do nothing. definitely worth the shot

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post

hello. I have an iphone 3g that had water damage. I don't know the details but the indicators on the main board are pink. The board was plugged in to a phone with non water damaged working components and it turns on, boots normally, the lcd works fine. The only problem seems to be the digitizer. I can't test it further until the digitizer is fixed. It was given to me by a friend to fix and when I opened up I saw corrosion on the lcd port which I gently cleaned with corrosion removal spray. Do you have any idea what might be wrong and the digitizer does not work? I cleaned all the spots that had signs of corrosion and there were not many.

Will the method of putting the mainboard in alcohol for 15 minutes and then rice fix the problem and if the problem doesn't get fixed will it still boot up and be as before? Thanks for your help!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Will the alcohol trigger the water damage sensors? I found an apple store and i'm hoping I can get a replacement.

Thanks

No, it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by billotos View Post
    Will the method of putting the mainboard in alcohol for 15 minutes and then rice fix the problem and if the problem doesn't get fixed will it still boot up and be as before? Thanks for your help!
    If the corrosion is already done that means damage has already done. You could try but chances are if any corrosion has occurred, it's too late.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 01-14-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,215 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xX0v3rki11Xx View Post
    Will the alcohol trigger the water damage sensors? I found an apple store and i'm hoping I can get a replacement.
    No it doesnt hurt the water sensors
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

It does?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,215 Posts

Fixed
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

Lol ok. I was seriously confused b/c I believe everything you say. I was so sure of myself until you said that haha.