Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 2g white screen appears occasionally after screen replacement

Question Iphone 2g white screen appears occasionally after screen replacement
    Hello everyone. I recently tried to repair my sisters iphone 2g which had a broken glass so I just replaced the whole glass digitizer lcd assembly. When I put everything back the screen occasionally goes white, in which case I have to press the power button to lock it and turn off the lcd and then press again either the home or power button to see if the screen is either white or shows everything normally. Usually after 1-2 times of doing this the screen works normally but it might turn white again if it comes from the sleep mode. In addition when I apply pressure with my fingers on the phone near the proximity sensor, the brightness of the screen changes according to the pressure that I apply (I'm not talking about the liquid crystals of the LCD that make a liquid visual effect when u press the lcd). Also the proximity sensor does not seem to work when in a call.

I also replaced the battery since the charge it was holding was not good and I made sure I soldered everything the right way.

I removed the flex cables and everything else a few times to make sure I didn't make any mistakes during reassembly and I'm pretty positive everything sits snugly.

Anyone else encounter similar problems? In my opinion, the pressure I apply to the phone means that something is not sitting right. the touch function works great but the brightness changes and the random white screens along with the proximity sensor problems make me think something else must be wrong.

Thanks is advance!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The proximity sensor is the same from before, so to me it looks like the connections are lose. You can open the phone but don't take the motherboard out, just remove the three screws and en press e motherboard down to push it against the connectors. U can try this while pushing the motherboard, turn on the phone and apply preasure on the glass and see if the brightness still changes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dq13 For This Useful Post:

billotos (01-04-2011)

I will try that.

I have two quick questions. Will it affect anything if I use a MAGNETIC flathead screwdriver to make sure the connectors are in?

Also I'm not 100% sure the big flexcable is completely in. If it's not inserted correctly which functions of the phone will be affected?

Thanks again!

A magnetic screw driver I'll be fine you won't have any problems if you use it.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

billotos (01-04-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The biggest flex behind the motherboard controls charger port and home button. If the charger works and home button, then it is in. The 3 smaller connectors are LCD, ear speaker/prox sensor and last, the digitizer

so I tried checking the connections while the phone was on and I saw that brightness changes persisted when i touched the lcd connector. however I just put a small piece of paper between the connectors and the metal back. now there is no more brightness changes but there is an occasional white screen when the phone returns from sleep mode. i will try a restore and i will update if anything changes.. thanks again