+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Suggestion for liquid glue to re-attach outer glass

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I repair iPhone's on the side for a little extra money and one thing I'd love to have is a liquid glue instead of the sticky tabs you have to
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Suggestion for liquid glue to re-attach outer glass
    I repair iPhone's on the side for a little extra money and one thing I'd love to have is a liquid glue instead of the sticky tabs you have to put down on the phone to get the glass to stick. Does anyone know of a glue made for this kind of stuff? Of course I could use super glue or something but ideally, the glue wouldn't be SO sticky that if you heat it up you still can't take it apart.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,864 Times in 2,205 Posts

You just need to find one that says glass adhesive.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rrrodeybreaker View Post
    I repair iPhone's on the side for a little extra money and one thing I'd love to have is a liquid glue instead of the sticky tabs you have to put down on the phone to get the glass to stick. Does anyone know of a glue made for this kind of stuff? Of course I could use super glue or something but ideally, the glue wouldn't be SO sticky that if you heat it up you still can't take it apart.
    What if someone comes back with another broke screen? I use the tape so if they come back its an easy replacement.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Even when you use the tape you still have to heat the screen to get it to peel off. That's why I was looking for something other than super glue because I still want to be able to take it off again.

Thanks

The problem with that is that if you don't glue it at any point the dig could separate from the main frame

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Westerman View Post
    The problem with that is that if you don't glue it at any point the dig could separate from the main frame
    I don't understand.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rrrodeybreaker View Post
    I don't understand.
    You have to have some sort of glue or really sticky adhesive your not going to find anything that will just hold the screen in and then make it easy to remove. Scotch tape is not going to hold the screen down for long but super glue will it made to be permeant you don't want yours or customer digs just falling off.
    If you use a heat gun then taking off a screen that is glued takes a whopping 3 mins if that. You need to do it right and not do a half butt repair.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Let me rephrase my original request.

I want a liquid equivalent of the adhesive paper normally used to hold the glass to the frame. Any suggestions?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

there is no such a liquid adhesive... like west was saying, if you use the non permanent one, the glass will eventually fall off since there is always be a little air pocket somewhere that will allow dirt to come in. and then if you use the super strong one (like super glue) then you won't be able to take it out... just use the tape, it is so much easier anyways, its already cut to fit the frame and all and there is no need to wait for it to dry

Green Apple
    Thanks

I like the superglue idea if there are no side effects (i.e. fumes or vapor). Worst case scenario you'll need to replace the frame which is $10 on eBay. Maybe use both, the adhesive sticker and superglue to fill in corners that did not stick.
    Last edited by jbounce; 12-23-2010 at 11:15 AM.

The 20th Member
    Thanks

There is none just stick with the tabs and beside they are free do even better
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i also fix iphones on the side and i use super glue for all my repairs. ive had people come back after and the glass comes off just as easy as when i used to use the adhesive tapes. The only problem i could see is taking off a screen that wasn't broken after using the glue, because you have to use some force.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can't get top screen to snap back into place. I, also, have to hold the top left corner of ipod screen to get the touch screen to work. Any ideas???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Repairing outer glass on ipod touch
    Not sure why my last post said the topic was "what is jailbreaking". Anyways, I am trying to replace the top screen on my son's ipod touch 3g 8gb. I got it all together, but the top left corner has to be held down to get touch screen to work. When I was taking it apart the black seal around screen came off in pieces, now I can't get the new glass to snap into place.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i used Aleene's Original All purpose Tacky Glue, worked extremely well for my mod