+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bricked iPhone 3GS?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, new to the forum but had a problem I just had to ask. I recently got a iPhone 3GS from my cousin. He had it sitting in his closet
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Bricked iPhone 3GS?
    Hi, new to the forum but had a problem I just had to ask.

I recently got a iPhone 3GS from my cousin. He had it sitting in his closet for a long time and he doesn't know what firmware it is on. My problem with the phone is that the screen is black and when it plug it into the computer it reads it as in recovery mode. I doubt the phone has had its SHSH blob saved ever so I was thinking of just restoring to the newest firmware 4.2.1. I tried that and it gave me a pop up of error 21 in Itunes. The screen turned white and it just stayed that way. If I can't update to the newest version and I can't downgrade because there is no SHSH blob then what other options do I have? or if there is fix can someone give me a suggestion? Thanks.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Please do a search before posting. There is a whole thread on your problem.

ModMyi.com Search Engine
    Last edited by SgtDeko; 12-13-2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks but it doesn't really answer my problem. I can't restore to an older firmware because the phones SHSH blobs aren't saved. Second, I tried to update to the newest firmware to overwrite the old one but ended with error 21. Phone is constantly stuck in DFU mode. Then ran redsnow 0.9.6b6 and put the phone into pwned dfu mode then tried to restore with custom 4.2.1 without BB with itunes and ended with error 21 again.

Any other suggestions?

Another thing I noticed is sometimes when I restore the LCD screen lights up and then turns to a white screen then just stays there, then it pops up error 21 in iTunes. Another situation is I restore and the LCD screen lights up then turns black and then lights up again and then turns black and I end up with error 1600.
    Last edited by cuduc83; 12-14-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

iTunes Errors - The iPhone Wiki

Gives you a list of all the errors iphones/itunes may expirience.

Plug your iphone in the computer and open itunes
    do this:

Step 1: Open iTunes and make sure that your iPhone is connected to the computer.

Step 2: Press and hold the iPhone’s Power button and at the same time press the Home button.

You should press both the buttons together otherwise you will not be able to put your iPhone into DFU mode. If the Apple logo appears on your iPhone that means you didn’t press the buttons correctly and so the iPhone has loaded the operating system and started in normal mode.

Step 3: After 10 seconds, release the Power button and continue to press the Home button. You should keep the Home button pressed until a popup appears in the iTunes window that says, “iPhone detected in recovery mode”. Press the OK button to continue.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Worked for me 100%
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ22eLbM1WQ]YouTube - How to get iPhone out of recovery mode (1015 plus more)[/ame]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cuduc83 View Post
    Thanks but it doesn't really answer my problem. I can't restore to an older firmware because the phones SHSH blobs aren't saved. Second, I tried to update to the newest firmware to overwrite the old one but ended with error 21. Phone is constantly stuck in DFU mode. Then ran redsnow 0.9.6b6 and put the phone into pwned dfu mode then tried to restore with custom 4.2.1 without BB with itunes and ended with error 21 again.

Any other suggestions?

Another thing I noticed is sometimes when I restore the LCD screen lights up and then turns to a white screen then just stays there, then it pops up error 21 in iTunes. Another situation is I restore and the LCD screen lights up then turns black and then lights up again and then turns black and I end up with error 1600.
    If the phone is stuck in a white screen then it's not in DFU mode.