+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stripped screw in iPhone 3gs, replacing LCD

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, I am trying to replace my LCD on my 3gs but one of the 6 screws holding the LCD in is stripped. Any ideas on how I can get
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Stripped screw in iPhone 3gs, replacing LCD
    Hi,

I am trying to replace my LCD on my 3gs but one of the 6 screws holding the LCD in is stripped. Any ideas on how I can get it out? Do you think apple or ATT would help me get it out if I brought it to them?? I'm thinking that's unlikely... And unfortunately I'm in college right now so I dont have a lot of tools at my disposal.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

You can actually break down The metal which is a possible quick fix, put the screwdriver on top of the screw where the groove used to be, tap the end of the screwdriver with a hammer about 15-25 times with very light taps, the lighter the taps the more times you should hit the screwdriver, now try to unscrew it

DONT REUSE THE SCREW lol

I have fixed 2-5 screws this way,

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hm I tried what you said but it didnt seem to work D=. What size screws did you do this on?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

get some crazy glue, put it over the screw and attach the screw driver. wait about 5 minutes and try again. that has worked many times for me since the screws are not tight at all

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

crazy glue didnt work either. The screwdriver would separate from the screw once i began turning it slowly. Thanks for the suggestion though.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

then try JB-Weld... that takes like 8 hours to dry and most likely the screwdriver will end up in the trash, but hey... whats 5 bucks worth of screwdriver against having your phone fixed...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Do you think I will I be able to use it on such a small screw? I'm thinking that if it leaks a bit around the screw it'll do the opposite and glue the screw in...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

takes some skills and balance... put a tiny bit on the screwdriver, then pit the screwdriver pointing up in a vertical position, then balance the frame of the phone on top of the screwdriver, like against the wall or something and then whatever little bit that drips, will drip down to the tool, not the screw and frame.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by giantstrw View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to replace my LCD on my 3gs but one of the 6 screws holding the LCD in is stripped. Any ideas on how I can get it out? Do you think apple or ATT would help me get it out if I brought it to them?? I'm thinking that's unlikely... And unfortunately I'm in college right now so I dont have a lot of tools at my disposal.
    Drill the head off of the screw. Do this lightly. Don't worry about not being able to use that screw hole because the other 5 will hold it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

buy another full front assembly on ebay including LCD, home button, speaker, glass etc... the whole thing is like 50 bucks... not bad to get the phone working again and then sell that one "AS-IS" and someone will buy it for 30 since its just the screw... so you fix your problem with 20 bucks after doing the sale of the old one

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I recently got my stripped screw out using a wide rubber band. I cut the rubber band in half and put it on top of the stripped screw and then used the screw driver.It takes a fair amount of pressure and a few tries - but it works.