+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Logo on iPhone 3g

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have iPhone 3g that was given to me with a broken digitizer, broken housing and a missing power button. It seemed that when it was broken the software was
    Thanks

Default Apple Logo on iPhone 3g
    I have iPhone 3g that was given to me with a broken digitizer, broken housing and a missing power button. It seemed that when it was broken the software was functioning normally and only needed a few cosmetic fixes. So I ordered some parts off eBay and got everything installed fine only to turn it on and find the the iPhone stalling at the Apple logo. Basically the power button will turn it on (but not off) and the phone acts like its booting up but never gets past the logo. I was wondering if anyone could direct me towards what i may have done during my rebuild or to a solution. I have already tried to get it into recovery mode, but it doesn't seem like its registering when I press the buttons. I want to say I have a bad logic board, but considering it was acting fine before I took it apart makes me think that might not be my problem.

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KHow09 View Post
    I have iPhone 3g that was given to me with a broken digitizer, broken housing and a missing power button. It seemed that when it was broken the software was functioning normally and only needed a few cosmetic fixes. So I ordered some parts off eBay and got everything installed fine only to turn it on and find the the iPhone stalling at the Apple logo. Basically the power button will turn it on (but not off) and the phone acts like its booting up but never gets past the logo. I was wondering if anyone could direct me towards what i may have done during my rebuild or to a solution. I have already tried to get it into recovery mode, but it doesn't seem like its registering when I press the buttons. I want to say I have a bad logic board, but considering it was acting fine before I took it apart makes me think that might not be my problem.

Any help will be much appreciated
    I'm kind of in the middle of a similar project. I got past this part by replacing the home button. The old home button looked fine, but did basically what you described. Once replaced I could put the iPhone into recovery mode. Was only $3 and a long wait for the part from dealextreme. Slightly more expensive ($5) and probably less wait on ebay.

Hope you didn't use lots of double-sided tape to get the screen back on. Luckily I had used just a little and it was easy to re-remove... which you have to do to replace the home button. I did notice that the tiny metal disk under the home button was off-kilter when I went to replace it. That may have been the problem with it, but I wasn't taking a chance and replaced the ribbon and button.

Now I am stuck at 1603 error when restoring, but that is another thread

Chris
    Last edited by Cmalinowski; 08-17-2010 at 11:39 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cmalinowski For This Useful Post:

KHow09 (08-18-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cmalinowski View Post
    I'm kind of in the middle of a similar project. I got past this part by replacing the home button. The old home button looked fine, but did basically what you described. Once replaced I could put the iPhone into recovery mode. Was only $3 and a long wait for the part from dealextreme. Slightly more expensive ($5) and probably less wait on ebay.

Hope you didn't use lots of double-sided tape to get the screen back on. Luckily I had used just a little and it was easy to re-remove... which you have to do to replace the home button. I did notice that the tiny metal disk under the home button was off-kilter when I went to replace it. That may have been the problem with it, but I wasn't taking a chance and replaced the ribbon and button.

Now I am stuck at 1603 error when restoring, but that is another thread

Chris
    Ill take a look at the home button then. My problem with it that sometimes it will go to the "please connect to itunes" screen and when i go to touch the screen it freezes up. Maybe that's a totally different issue as well, but its leading me back to think of a logic board problem though.

I'll keep you posted if this works

I do have another question, does it matter which screws go in which holes on the logic board? I mixed them all up except for the "do not remove" and just guessed based on size where they should go.

Dude, you are a beast. All i had to do was clean the contacts for the home button and it just came on. Its amazing what I overlook when fixing broken things.

Again much thanks.
    Last edited by KHow09; 08-17-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost