+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: jailbroken iphone can't charge. what to do before i return to apple store?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
i am still under warranty on my 3GS and need to figure out what to do before i bring my iphone to the apple store. it won't connect to my
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default jailbroken iphone can't charge. what to do before i return to apple store?
    i am still under warranty on my 3GS and need to figure out what to do before i bring my iphone to the apple store. it won't connect to my computer but i have 60% remaining battery life to whatever i need to. here are the options i have come up with:

1) delete all the cydia apps to make it look as much as a stock iphone as possible. then return to apple store
    2) let the battery run out, then return to apple store
    3) combine 1&2

i tried to download the app called "FAKE Restore" but it won't run. i wish there was a way you could unjailbreak without connecting to computer

any other suggestions? i am leaning towards #3... note that i have about 25 cydia apps so it is going to be a hassle to delete them one by one... CyDelete isn't working for me either.

thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You can't get it into DFU or recovery mode to do a restore?

If thats the case, delete Cydia off the phone (I believe installing Cydelete and disabling the protect from delete from Settings app will do the job). Delete any jailbroken stuff before doing so too like apps, tweaks, whatever. Then clear Cydia off. You should be safe to bring the phone in then.

Thanks

can't you just restore?

hold the power button for 3 seconds, then hold the home and power button for 10 seconds, and release the power button and continue to hold the home button for 30 seconds, all while plugged into your computer. this happend to me before and this should fix it.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 08-14-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

Just reset all settings , reboot and it will connect. Or just do the easy way like they said above and DFU it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default thanks, but...
    my iphone won't connect to my computer. for some reason my charging/connection port is messed up and it won't register. it won't even charge when plugged into an outlet. the problem is not the cord either. so I don't think either of the above methods will work, will they?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I think that if the port is messed up and cannot charge at all, that means they cant turn it on to see it so just let the battery drain.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah... I'll try that and let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the help!

Thanks

put it in DFU mode....

Twitter: @tshoults

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So, wht happend?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

apparently it had water damage so the warranty didn't cover it. instead of buying a new iphone 3gs for $200 i got a Samsung Captivate and i love it so far. android is awesome - the only thing the iphone really has on it is a smoother interface...

on a ranting note, the people in the mac store were complete idiots. me and a couple other people were waiting an hour and a half to be seen because we were late for our appointments by 5 minutes. their way of doing business was so terrible... they only had one guy trained to fix iphones, so we had to wait forever, meanwhile other employees were walking aimlessly around the store.