+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Touch screen problems after glass replacement

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello! In recently replaced the glass and LCD on my iPhone 3GS. Everything went great and the screen turns on fine, but the touch controls don't work. The home button
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Touch screen problems after glass replacement
    Hello!

In recently replaced the glass and LCD on my iPhone 3GS. Everything went great and the screen turns on fine, but the touch controls don't work. The home button works fine, as does the speaker, but I can't get it to register any touches on the screen. Occasionally I can get it to recognize my finger unlocking the screen, but only long enough to get the slider about half way before it quits. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

did you replace it with the right digitizer? the 3g an 3gs digitizers have different connections.. i hope this doesnt happen to my girlfriends tomorrow when i replace it for her

Thanks

Here is a picture of the two type of connectors

The one on top is for a 3G

The bottom is for the 3GS

As you can see the middle of the connectors are totally different.

I do allot of Glass/Digitizer repairs so I had these on had to show you the difference. I hope this helps.

Also make sure when you snap the connector to the main board you feel a pop.

Last edited by XFaega; 07-22-2010 at 11:35 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you bought a cheap digitizer if may be faulty I know about a month ago I replaced mine and everything worked fine except the middle so the seller sent me another on that one the bottom half of the screen didn't work so he sent another and that one finally worked I guess the third time is the charm in my situation

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I didn't replace the digitizer, only the glass and the LCD. All the connectors are snapped down properly. I realized that only the bottom portion isn't working; if I double press the home button I can control the music functions. I read on another forum that sometimes a full phone reset can help solve touch screen issues so I will try that when I have a chance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asmockler View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I didn't replace the digitizer, only the glass and the LCD. All the connectors are snapped down properly. I realized that only the bottom portion isn't working; if I double press the home button I can control the music functions. I read on another forum that sometimes a full phone reset can help solve touch screen issues so I will try that when I have a chance.
    I would suggest buying the full assembly glass/digitizer. Not sure how you where able to sperate the touch sinsor glass from the actual glass without damaging it. How where you able to reaply the touch sinsor glass back onto the plane glass?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
    I would suggest buying the full assembly glass/digitizer. Not sure how you where able to sperate the touch sinsor glass from the actual glass without damaging it. How where you able to reaply the touch sinsor glass back onto the plane glass?
    i think he just doesnt realize that when you replace the glass you are replacing the digitizer..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I separated the glass from the digitizer by using a heat gun to melt the glue. I used 3m double sided sticky stuff to reattach the digitizer to the glass. I don't see how I could have damaged the digitizer in that process since all i did was melt the glue and replace the glass. There was no scraping or pulling involved, really.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asmockler View Post
    I separated the glass from the digitizer by using a heat gun to melt the glue. I used 3m double sided sticky stuff to reattach the digitizer to the glass. I don't see how I could have damaged the digitizer in that process since all i did was melt the glue and replace the glass. There was no scraping or pulling involved, really.
    why didnt you just replace the glass and digitizer as one piece?

You could have damaged the digitizer with the heat gun or the tape you used is to much insulation between the digitizer and glass