+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need Urgent help here Iphone beer damaged

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok, so I was at a bar and the server spilled a bottle of beer by mistake on my iphone, I immediatly wiped it off and it was working fine
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation Need Urgent help here Iphone beer damaged
    Ok, so I was at a bar and the server spilled a bottle of beer by mistake on my iphone, I immediatly wiped it off and it was working fine sound everything fine, I got home and then realized that I couldnt hear anyone calling in, and the Iphone wasnt playing music through the speaker, I then went on to blow dry it, rice etc....and have turned it off since. The iphone is Jailbroken with cydia , and has a bunch of apps and data,contacts etc, my computer recoginzes it and I can get a new Iphone 3gs at no cost beacuse of my warranty. However how can I back up the phone and transfer the data to the new one, remember its jailbroken so I guess I tunes wont work, would I also be able to transfer all my cydia apps?

I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP THANKS

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Right water damage iPhone sensors = problem ok you get a new one great. If connect it to iTunes it will read it and back it up and sync ok then but if you take it back to apple you would need to restore it because your warranty is void jailbroken

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Are sure that it will back up all my data? what about the JB apps and Cydia apps? Isnt there away to create a backupfile without useing Itunes and just transfer it to the new Iphone?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

Try this and hopefully its not too late.

1) get some 99% isopropyl alcohol (DO NOT USE ANYTHING LESS CUZ IT CONTAINS WATER AND WILL HURT THE PHONE MORE)
    2) soak the phone while it is OFF in the alcohol. Yes soak it as in fully submerged. 99% alcohol does not damage the phone. If you can get 100% even better but the best i found was 99%.
    3) after about 10-15 minutes take the phone out and let it air dry. Do not use a hair dryer, hight heat can melt the internal parts.
    4) stick the phone in either a bag of rice or silica gel (you can get this at an arts and crafts store, it works faster than rice).
    5) leave phone in for AT LEAST 3 days but a week for good measure. The rice/silica gel absorbs moisture right out of the phone.

Turn on the phone after a week and see how it works. It fixed my phone completely even when I continued to use it while water damaged. Best turn off your phone now and dont turn it back on for best results. Leaving it on will cause more damage. The 99% alcohol should grab the water and help remove minerals and whatnot from the internal parts and evaporate it right out of the phone in rice/silica gel.

Good luck and report back to let us know

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What about backing up a Jailbroken iphone? and the getting a new Iphone and Transfering the Data? What about my contacts and cydia apps etc..?

Guys thank you very much, I left it in the rice over nite and blow dried it works great now a thousand thanks
    Last edited by felipe212; 07-17-2010 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost