+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replaced Battery, Restarts Often

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I replaced the battery in my iPhone 3GS with a 1600mAh battery from Amazon, supposedly for the iPhone 3G (they're both the same anyway) ([ame=http://www.amazon.com/6279Q595-Replacement-Battery-1600mah-iphone/dp/B001UGAX82]Amazon.com: 6279Q595 Replacement Battery 1600mah for
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Replaced Battery, Restarts Often
    I replaced the battery in my iPhone 3GS with a 1600mAh battery from Amazon, supposedly for the iPhone 3G (they're both the same anyway) ([ame=http://www.amazon.com/6279Q595-Replacement-Battery-1600mah-iphone/dp/B001UGAX82]Amazon.com: 6279Q595 Replacement Battery 1600mah for Apple iphone 3G:…[/ame]).

The whole swapout went quite smooth; however, after three or so minutes of having the phone on, it reboots itself. It doesn't go into recovery mode, it's just a normal reboot as if I did it manually, but I didn't. It just does it by itself. And then it happens in another three to six minutes.

I put the phone in recovery mode to see if it'd reboot then too. It does, but it takes quite a bit longer (usually around ten minutes). I haven't tried DFU mode, but it'll most likely be the same.

I put the original iPhone battery back in to make sure I hadn't broken the logic board, and it doesn't reboot with the original battery. I swapped them out a bit and it only reboots with the new battery. I tried restoring the phone through iTunes with the new battery in it and got error 29, which I fixed with iRecovery, but it would still reboot.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thanks

The battery doesn't sound compatible. Return this battery and buy one made for the 3GS.
    The gates in my computer are AND, OR and NOT; they are not Bill.

Iphone 3G, Ultrasn0w'ed using T-Mobile UK on a G1 Contract, 800 mins, Unlimited texting and unlimited internet! <--1337

3. The Following User Says Thank You to computid For This Useful Post:

iiBenxD (07-11-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. But now I'm confused: when I was looking for a battery, I was almost certain that I read somewhere that the 3G batteries could work in the 3GS. I guess not. Anyway, I ordered the same size battery for the 3GS, hopefully that'll work.
    Thanks for the reply (:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iiBenxD For This Useful Post:

Sopwith (07-15-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iiBenxD View Post
    Thanks for the reply. But now I'm confused: when I was looking for a battery, I was almost certain that I read somewhere that the 3G batteries could work in the 3GS. I guess not. Anyway, I ordered the same size battery for the 3GS, hopefully that'll work.
    Thanks for the reply (:

Hey iiBenxD!

I have the exact same problem! 100% the same symptoms... I still haven't replaced the "old" battery back - hoping for a solution. As I type my iPhone is rebooting itself.

Did you find a solution for it?

Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi, I'm having the same issue. However, I DID NOT BUY THE NEW BATTERY MYSELF, I bought the iPhone as non working from a guy who had his battery replaced at the mall's repair shop. Could it be that they put a 3G battery instead of a 3GS battery?
    Was an incorrect battery the problem? Did a new 3GS battery fixed the issues?

Please let me know, Mahalo!

A.G.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,212 Posts

Yes if your phone is rebooting like that and you have done a restore on the phone then its the battery... Buy the right battery for the right phone. They say they are compatible makes no sense to me. They might look smell and taste the same but they are different. It makes more sense the a 3gs battery would work in a 3g but not a 3g battery in a 3gs. They have a bigger better battery for a reason
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I replaced my 3gs battery 4 times to find a good one. The battery percentage acted wierd, didn't last long or charged slowly.

Also, when restoring to 3.1.3, got an iTunes error.

Trying to buy off Amazon or eBay is difficult ...

Note: the nmi portion of the battery may be the same, but the little circuit board at the very bottom of the battery is much different.
    Last edited by Mes; 11-19-2010 at 12:30 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

let me guess?you're on 4.1....with an older 3gs???
    i had the exact same problem two weeks ago(drove me crazy) and found the solution in an older post somewhere.
    your problem is your NEW BATTERY!!!!specifically..it is the WRONG BATTERY!..it might be a 3g only battery
    the battery you HAVE TO USE now is apple part number 616-0431.
    this solved my rebooting problem.expect to see a noticeable battery drain.go on ebay and search for apple oem#616-0431
    PS just for the hell of it i did try 3 different batteries with different part numbers.none worked
    here's a link also

View topic - 3GS keeps on re-starting after every 3-4 mins
    good luck