+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 30 pin difference

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
does the sync/charge Iphone 3G cord have all the necessary pins to splice in audio? I am making a cheap PlexiGlass jobsite Iphone box/radio thing with plugs, speakers and all
    Thanks

Default 30 pin difference
    does the sync/charge Iphone 3G cord have all the necessary pins to splice in audio? I am making a cheap PlexiGlass jobsite Iphone box/radio thing with plugs, speakers and all built in, and want to use one cord instead of two inside the box.

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

im pretty sure it does but why not go from the headphone jack and put a couple 9V or D batterys to power it? I just made a case and was thinking about putting in speakers so I learned a bit about wiring all that stuff but it ended up it didn't fit anyway just wondering why you'd go this way...it seems like it'd be much harder..
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

Thanks

Well, to make it like "A Dock In A Box", one connection. Charge and audio, I work in new construction and need an easy, durable, alternative to a cardboard box.

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

alright.... my suggestion would be to get a cheap dock that also has some horrible speakers attatched for about 30 bucks and then take it apart use the same dock for charging and just put in bigger speakers and make your box.... i realize that this doesn't answer your original question though, so I'll just stop talking now...or typing
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wannabprogramma For This Useful Post:

Cocheese (07-03-2010)

Thanks

well, I just started school for electronics about 4 months ago, so, I'll build a prototype, maybe with both cords, and experiment a little. I will upload some pics if all goes well. Or if maybe i could digg up some schematics, to help I could modify the pins on a PCB hidden in the box.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't believe the charge/sync cable has the audio wired up.

I'd recommend getting something like the Sparkfun ipod breakout board. It brings the signals from the dock connector plug to a circuit board where you can easily connect to them. They have a link on their website detailing which pin does what. You should be able to find the line-out's for the audio channels.

SparkFun Electronics - PodBreakout

I didn't realize there was a breakout board available so I made my own, but I had to order 3 boards so I have some spares.
    I can check if one the spare boards is ok and if I have a connector left. If so then are you're interested in an unlabeled budget board?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wreck-gar For This Useful Post:

Cocheese (07-03-2010)

Thanks

Sweet great link, great price! Isn't it pretty hard to solder to the individual pins. I haven't tried yet.