+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3gs 16gb wont power on.

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Recently Dropped my iphone about a foot and half height and the front assembly shattered as if it were run over by a car, my dumb self forgot to back
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iphone 3gs 16gb wont power on.
    Recently Dropped my iphone about a foot and half height and the front assembly shattered as if it were run over by a car, my dumb self forgot to back up the iphone contents to itunes after redoing my PC to windows 7 thus i lost all my contacts and information.

but a friend of mine (also an iphone owner) was telling me even without the LCD functional the phone should still power on and connect to itunes, if this is correct then replacing the iPhone 3GS Screen with LCD & Touch Panel (picture attached) is pointless?

as of right now, i don't see no hairline cracks or damage to the board, I already disassembled the Screen with LCD & Touch Panel carefully removing the 3 ribbons, My question is even with that piece of the phone removed should it still power up?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iphone 3gs 16gb wont power on.-ip-2322_125.jpg  

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Yes. And sync.

But you could have damaged the mainboard, or the battery, or the dock connector...etc, etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Convic (06-30-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Yes. And sync.

But you could have damaged the mainboard, or the battery, or the dock connector...etc, etc.

considering i bought the phone from a friend (he at the time upgrade to the 32gb) and not directly from apple, he was telling me, if they wanted too since the phone is technically registered to him and not me if they ran the serial number they could technically take the phone away from me.

So technically I am **** out of luck? as far as the phone is concerned, they're s no way to diagnose the phone to see what other damaged occurred without taking it to IE apple?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

First off, doesnt matter who the phone is registered to, Apple doesnt care.

But, you dropping it voids the warranty so Apple wont do anything for ya anyways.

The problem can be diagnosed, but (dont take this the wrong way) not by you. You need the proper tools and knowledge.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    First off, doesnt matter who the phone is registered to, Apple doesnt care.

But, you dropping it voids the warranty so Apple wont do anything for ya anyways.

The problem can be diagnosed, but (dont take this the wrong way) not by you. You need the proper tools and knowledge.
    yeah no problem

can i have you honest opinion tho, is it worth trying to fix the damn thing or should i just go buy a new?