+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3gs raised glass

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi guys, The glass on my 3Gs is slightly raised in the top left corner. the other three corners are flush with the chrome bezel. the phone is only 1
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3gs raised glass
    Hi guys,

The glass on my 3Gs is slightly raised in the top left corner. the other three corners are flush with the chrome bezel. the phone is only 1 week old never dropped or anything. is this normal?

its a Black 32 GB BTW

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Did you buy it from the store or 3rd party? If its third party its mostly likely a replacement screen.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's brand new. Just got it on a new contract from my service provider fido.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Apple will replace it with no problems. I had this happen on my 3GS also and took it to Apple and they gave me a new one because it is a quality issue.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    Apple will replace it with no problems. I had this happen on my 3GS also and took it to Apple and they gave me a new one because it is a quality issue.
    i know this is an option but apple will likely give me a refurb phone. does anyone know a fix i can do myself?

I haz a number
    Thanks

If the midboard plastic frame with the glass on top is sitting up, then you must carefully open the phone. Remove the two dock screws, suction cup carefully near home button to lift home button portion of screen up, do not lift ear piece side (top of sceen) up or you will disconnect screen cables, or worst damage flex 3 componets. Once bottom of screen is open slightly, then push upper portion of screen down and into proper place in the phone, then push lower portion back down into proper place. If everything is in correct location, replace bottom screws. Done.

This is very simple, but I caution, extreme care is definitely needed, or you will disconnect flex 1, possibly flex 2. A very bad outcome would be to damage flex 3, or even worse destroy phone by breaking connector 3 and needing to contact Krazy.

If the metal bezel is raised from the plastic back cover, then you must glue that corner back together.

If only the glass is raised by itself, then the adhesive glue job at the factory was botched. They accidentally folded up the adhesive under the glass raising it up. This is a much tougher repair, basically same as a screen (digitizer) repair. I would not attempt this with an under warranty phone. If the glass and only the glass is up, not the plastic midboard, then definitely take this back to Apple.

Good luck.