Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G: wifi antenna flex (#6) doensn't attach to the MB

Question iPhone 3G: wifi antenna flex (#6) doensn't attach to the MB
    I'm having a hard time attaching the antenna ribbon cable numbered 6. I think either the cable or the connector on the iPhone 3G motherboard has been slightly bent which stops me from connecting it.

The situation looks this:

What do you think, is the cable or the connector damaged? It's rather easy to replace the cable but the MB connector is almost impossible to fix. At the moment they just don't snap to attach and stay lose with affects that I'm unable to use wifi.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anybody? Somebody? Nobody? Aha..okay...

I ordered a replacement flex cable from ebay. I hope the connector on the mainboard is fine... Unless I forger, I'll report the repair results later.

Default Wifi plug
    Hi!

This looks very bad and I know what IŽm speaking about. Had the same problem yesterday and I can tell you that youŽll run into a major repair! After several tries to fix that problem I had to desolder the plug on the systemboard and on the flexcable as well! Then I soldered a piece of really thin audio cable (headphone cable) to the systemboard and the flexcable. It works now, but it took me nearly 5 hours and IŽm not very satisfied with this solution.
    So IŽm going to look out for the spareparts and if I get those IŽll put it back to the original!
    So if you do this repair youŽll need very good soldering skills, otherwise youŽll damage the whole thing.

Well.. I was extremely careful and fixed the MB connector with tiny tweezers and replaced the flex cable. Now it works fine, without any soldering whatsoever. I was lucky!

Hi!
    I'm having the same trouble here.
    Can anyone post a picture of a working connector?
    I'm thinking of soldering a cable to the MB...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ma1sa View Post
    Well.. I was extremely careful and fixed the MB connector with tiny tweezers and replaced the flex cable. Now it works fine, without any soldering whatsoever. I was lucky!
    Well done! those connections look mangled.

I would replace the wifi chip and flex before soldering anything..
    thats all i needed to do, was the only one of the 2 connections that was bad.

Default #6 connector
    Hi, i have same problem, #6 connector is damaged. I feel this is a design fault along with the wifi chip solder problem. Of course Apple would never admit to any of this. I will attempt to crimp the connector better otherwise solder it directly or buy another antenna (only $9 in NZ), the large part of the plug (female end) seems to be the part that gets out of shape and the male end on the Motherboard is less likely to get out of shape. eitherway its a pain in the butt!!