+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone dropped in water and fixed it!

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Worst iPhone Luck!! I suppose I should start at the beginning... January of '09 I purchased the 16GB 3G iPhone, I was unaware that a 32GB was going to come
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone dropped in water and fixed it!
    Worst iPhone Luck!! I suppose I should start at the beginning... January of '09 I purchased the 16GB 3G iPhone, I was unaware that a 32GB was going to come out in July. On Cinco de mayo my dear friend, in a drunken fit, had threw what she thought was her iPhone out the window and then passed out. The next morning when we had woken up, she told me what she had done. I felt so bad for her because it had rained all night (all 10 hours it was outside in her yard). While she was on her landline on hold with AT&T she heard MY phone ring and was like "OMG! I just downloaded that ringtone", still semi-hazy from the effects of the night before I realized I did not have that ringtone!!! She had thrown MY PHONE out of the window. I'm going summarize the rest of this situation... The phone was soaked I used a hair dryer on it for about 11 minutes and continued to shake it frequently. After 3 hours of shaking water literally still came out of my phone through the openings (charging opening, headphone port, the slot which contains sim card, etc.) I was so distraught!!! So I take it to AT&T they plugged it in and the screen came on, it was very wavy and had static, like a tv station with bad reception. the only image that would appear was the itunes logo which i had never seen on my phone at that point. Maybe some of you have after that horrible update last summer (My roomie and I did anyway). So they said that we could send it to apple and most likely they would do nothing b/c it would have apparant water damage. I could not replace it b/c I was only a few months into my contract, I would have to pay full price or add a line and a new contract to my existing account. So I did what any other person would do, that does NOT have disposable income-- I took the loaner and went home sad, mad, upset and felt hopeless. I looked online for answers and the most used answer was to stick the phone in a bag of rice. Well 1/2 of the people that I found that had tried that, it did not work, and their phones did not go through what mine had. I gave up!! I wasn't going to look for an answer anymore, I had already started searching for cheap used phones on eBay. For some reason a memory flashed through my mind of my late grandfather. He used to repair TV's and VCRs in the 80s to the later 90s. I do not remember what it was but I do remember him putting some electronic in the deep freezer. When I asked him why, he expained to me b/c the deep freezer would dry up all of the moisture in whatever it was, and that is the only thing left for him to try to save that 'electronic' part or thing. Don't know why I remembered that and I can't believe I did it, but at that poing I had nothing to lose, my phone was already broken, and the warranty was voided. I said a lil prayer and put my iPhone in the deep freezer. 11 hours later (the next morning) I woke up and took out the phone, I had to scrape a light, thin layer of frost off it, let it sit for 3-5 minutes and then turned it on, IT TURNED ON!!!!!!!!!! It worked just like it did before our beloved Spanish holiday. It worked for me and I hope it works for you!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

WOW dude this is some crazy story, im definitely will try this out when i get water dameg iphone. Congrats on working phone and thanks for ur granddad's advice!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Excel Wiz's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice job.

MacBook Pro 15" Core i7|4GB|500GB|HiRes
    iPhone 4 16GB
    iPhone 3G 8GB

Thanks

Youd think freezing the water droplets inside the phone could cause more damage...I'd still be stickin with the bag of rice for my method if/when mine gets wet..lol

I haz a number
    Thanks

You are describing the process of sublimation. Sublimation - is the change of a solid substance directly to a vapor without first passing through the liquid state. So by putting the device in the freezer you are freezing the water solid into ice, then over time it evaporates away. So this could work. Not sure when this process would be better than rice method or just using warm dry air.

Brad

Thanks

Wow.. Crazy story. You need to watch out for your crazy friend before she does something crazy to your iphone.
    My old iphone was dropped in the sink while water were on. My parents told me to put it in a bag of rice and leave it for a night. So I left it overnight and my phone worked well but the rice turned gray/blackish.

Thanks

thats pretty sick haha
    what a lesson
    i dropped mine in the toilet but it still worked
    i shouldve replaced teh screen but w/e

Thanks
    Thanked 16,731 Times in 4,446 Posts

wow!!!...never tried freezer but i can confirm that bag of rice works...that how i saved me wife's 3G

Thanks

Thats pretty sick, very lucky, but i would sell it and buy another before some shiznit goes haywire and bricks on you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shockster For This Useful Post:

iAMAPC (06-23-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Vaccuum
    The best way I found so far is hooking up the shop vaccuum at the charging port and turn it on for a couple of hours. Worked like a charm with my wife 3g that was in the sink while washing dishes.

Thanks

Loved the story and the happy outcome.....but seriously, would using paragraphs kill you?