Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 2g screen

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy iphone 2g screen
    soo i cracked me screen which seemed inevitable for how many times i dropped it but can i just buy a replacement screen and buy tht little tool where i can just prop up the screen or do i have to do the heat gun thing

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

no, u gotta buy the whole new screen for 2g the glass on ebay for $7 wont work, yea

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wolk72 For This Useful Post:

Jcat24 (06-03-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

aight thanks man

Replacing a 2g glass screen is possible. There are 2 good You Tube videos on how to do it. Both have flaws in their technique but give you a very good idea of what you are supposed to do. The first one is best "How to replace a iPhone 2G glass for 11.40 USD. The Movie part 1/2". The problem is he puts the knife under the front glass screen (between the front glass and digitizer) and puts pressure on the underlying digitizer and LCD. You do not want to put any pressure on the digitizer or LCD. He also revoves the glue as he removes the glass screen. You want to leave the glue until the very end to protect the Digitizer and LCD. The second video "Original iPhone Glass Replacement" he uses a hair dryer for heat, which I think is bad. Do not use heat or glue softener.

My technique is to use a serrated butter knife and to saw the glass off laterally in small pieces, never putting downward pressure on the Digitizer or LCD. Also, I do not use heat or glue softener, because I want the top glass to stay still and shatter into small pieces. Heat will allow too much movement of the top glass which will leverage great pressure upon the LCD. You want to minimize pressure applied to the LCD. I never want the knife blade to go under the top glass like he does in the first video, again to avoid putting pressure on the underlying Digitizer and LCD. The glue is a protective, leave it on until the entire front glass is removed.

The two videos have technique flaws, but they do show you the basic idea, and the task that awaits you, when removing the front glass of 2g iPhone.

My technique is to saw the top glass off into small bits using lateral motion with a serrated butter knife, keeping above the adhesive glue, never allowing downward pressure. Everything is lateral motion side to side, never up or down, and never under the glass.

Brad