Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP WITH INSTALL OF MUTE/audio jack FLEX ON 3G

Default HELP WITH INSTALL OF MUTE/audio jack FLEX ON 3G
    I am pretty well versed with taking apart and putting back together the 3G iphone. However, I'm stumped with this problem. I bought a new audio jack flex on ebay to replace a bad one. The flex comes as pictured

So basically it's the naked flex missing the plastic piece to hold the power button down, the metal strip to hold volume in place and the metal bracket for the mute switch. I have all these parts, but it's the mute switch bracket I'm struggling with. There's two things that stick out from the mute flex which have to be aligned into the holes on the mute switch metal bracket...no problem. But, it looks as if these two things that stick out need to be melted down once put through the holes on the bracket, as to hold it tightly together. I can't figure out how to melt these things down. I heat a flat head screw driver with a lighter and then pressed the heated screw driver against the parts...no luck. Then I tried using a lighter directly on the two prongs to melt them and applied pressure to them with a screw driver...thinking direct fire would do the trick. No luck...so the prongs are definitely not wax...what do I do??? Please help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -iphone_3g_audio_jack.jpg-690.jpg  
    Last edited by Colace21; 06-01-2010 at 04:41 AM.

Hey !
    I know exactly what you are talking about !!!
    This is what I did... I used a soldering iron directly on those plastic prongs. It's not wax... It seems to be more a rubber like material.

It didn't work too well for me so I ended up using a little bit of SUPERGLUE on the other side. The side of the switch against the weird looking bracket. And that worked well. Closed the phone and it's all good !

Hope this works for you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to juanmtb For This Useful Post:

StudioGuy (01-18-2011)