+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS died, started working, then died again

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Three weeks ago my iPhone 3GS stopped working entirely. It wouldn't turn on, wouldn't register in iTunes, wouldn't go into DFU mode, wouldn't go into recovery, wouldn't charge etc. I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3GS died, started working, then died again
    Three weeks ago my iPhone 3GS stopped working entirely. It wouldn't turn on, wouldn't register in iTunes, wouldn't go into DFU mode, wouldn't go into recovery, wouldn't charge etc. I was convinced it was completely dead. This all happened with 67% battery charge. I gave up trying everything I knew to fix it so I shelved it. Last night I decided to mess with it again so I took it and plugged it into the charger and to my surprise it started charging and everything was working normally except the date and time were incorrect. I charged it to 100% overnight and everything was fine until this afternoon when I took it out of my pocket to find it was dead again. Now it is back to being dead. No DFU, no recovery, nothing. I handle this phone really lightly and it has never seen water. The only environmental causes that are even plausible are heat, humidity and sweat.

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do to get it to come back? It is the 16gb running on 3.0.1 and is jailbroken/unlocked.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Synergic View Post
    Three weeks ago my iPhone 3GS stopped working entirely. It wouldn't turn on, wouldn't register in iTunes, wouldn't go into DFU mode, wouldn't go into recovery, wouldn't charge etc. I was convinced it was completely dead. This all happened with 67% battery charge. I gave up trying everything I knew to fix it so I shelved it. Last night I decided to mess with it again so I took it and plugged it into the charger and to my surprise it started charging and everything was working normally except the date and time were incorrect. I charged it to 100% overnight and everything was fine until this afternoon when I took it out of my pocket to find it was dead again. Now it is back to being dead. No DFU, no recovery, nothing. I handle this phone really lightly and it has never seen water. The only environmental causes that are even plausible are heat, humidity and sweat.

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do to get it to come back? It is the 16gb running on 3.0.1 and is jailbroken/unlocked.
    Well I would put it back on the shelf again and if a few days from then tried it and it started charging I would rejailbreak to 3.1.2 with jailbreak software that does not update your baseband!

If that don't work then it must be the battery or hardware problem!

When the phone was in you pocket did it feel real warm?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It is working again, but in the time between now and when I posted it did the die/resurrection cycle twice. The battery doesn't seem weak. I played Sim City for nearly an hour and only burned 30% of the charge but every time the iPhone dies, I leave it overnight then connect it to the charger in the morning because it does nothing in between those times. Then it shows the red, empty battery icon for the longest time. When I finally get to Springboard the battery shows 5% but it is never nearly that low at the time it dies. I think since the warranty is void I will swap in a new battery.

The 20th Member
    Thanks

seems like your phone isnt reading your battery right you should try to repsring it every once in a while to refresh it i did that once cuz my phone stayed at 65% after a full day of heavy usage it wouldnt drop below 65% so i resprung it with SBSettings just intime to see it drop from 1% to dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

Thanks

I had the same problem tried respringing holding the home and power for a forced reboot and nothing, took it to applestore and they asked me if I backed my 3GS before it started tripping and nope but they did give me a brand new iPhone 3GS and it was the battery. You have to turn down the screen brightness and other settings and check your iPhone system. Since then no problems with the battery hope this helps

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It seems like the phone doesn't die as long as I don't put it in standby. I used it today playing Simcity for about 4 hours and ended up with 12% battery. I did a complete restore on the phone (didn't even load the backup) and this still persists. How is standby killing it?