+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G USB problem - No charge or sync, but will turn on

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So I tried to replace the battery in my iPhone earlier, then realised I Needed a smaller screwdriver, so I reassembled it. Sadly, it now doesn't work perfectly - It
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3G USB problem - No charge or sync, but will turn on
    So I tried to replace the battery in my iPhone earlier, then realised I Needed a smaller screwdriver, so I reassembled it. Sadly, it now doesn't work perfectly - It doesn't vibrate, and more importantly, doesn't charge or sync. However, when the iPhone is off, if I plug the USB cable in to the PC it works, so presumably it is actually being detected. Anyone have any ideas what the problem is or how I can fix it?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Your meaning: a good iphone damaged somewhere after battery replaced, now vibrate, charging port not work, sounds strange a problem.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Precisely. But the dock connector isn't completely broken, as if the iPhone is turned off, when I connect it to power it turns itself on. It just won't charge or sync. I have of course tried multiple computers/power supplies and cables.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Take it back apart and check all the ribbon cables under the screen are connected properly. I forget which one is which so just check all three are in properly.
    The gates in my computer are AND, OR and NOT; they are not Bill.

Iphone 3G, Ultrasn0w'ed using T-Mobile UK on a G1 Contract, 800 mins, Unlimited texting and unlimited internet! <--1337

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yea I've checked the cables about 3 times. Do any of them control the vibration or charging/sync? The strangest part seems to be that it turns on when it is off and the USB cable is plugged in. It is jailbroken with pwnage tool, but I can't imagine this will make any difference

Thanks

Cable 4 is the entire dock assembly so check that one. carefully remove it and check you haven't damaged the connector.
    The gates in my computer are AND, OR and NOT; they are not Bill.

Iphone 3G, Ultrasn0w'ed using T-Mobile UK on a G1 Contract, 800 mins, Unlimited texting and unlimited internet! <--1337

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cable 4 seems to be connected properly - disconnect it and plug in the USB cable and it won't turn on, reconnect cable 4 and then plug in the USB cable and it will charge.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the same problem with 2 out of the 4 iphones that I have.
    I bought new usb ports to replace the old ones and nothing no sync and no charge as well. The new parts worked on the other working phones
    I also have a water damaged one but that is a different story.
    I am going to try the cleaning process someone posted up and see if that fixes my problem if not I have to expensive paper weights sigh....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the exact same problem, any luck guys?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Did you remove motherboard or pry up on it? The vibrator and battery connections are in the same vicinity. If you take it apart again check to see if there is any spring or movement (up and down) in the vibrator area. Just like the pads with numbers on them (that have the the ribbon connectors below them) you might try inserting a wad of tissue or something soft on the board at the battery area and gently closing case again. Check cables for the forth time to make sure they are connected. If you have any luck with this, I suggest you get the proper screw drver to disassemble the mb from its mount to access the battery and vibrator contacts. Gently bend out or up to facilitate a better contact (s), also view the board from the side and see if it is bent or misshaped. Look at the screw hole next to dock right side low and see if it is any different from the left side, (raised up). It may have started to lift. If it has the board shap or curve will probably reflect this. A very very small amount of 5 min epoxy or JB weld (Quik) placed on the brass insert prior to pushing back into place if it has lifted or seating will keep it secure. If you think you got the sticky stuff in the bore clean quickly and install a vasilene covered screw into brass before it dries and the clean further after removing screw for final assembly.

Good luck
    Last edited by WhyKnot; 05-21-2011 at 01:46 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhyKnot View Post
    Did you remove motherboard or pry up on it? The vibrator and battery connections are in the same vicinity. If you take it apart again check to see if there is any spring or movement (up and down) in the vibrator area. Just like the pads with numbers on them (that have the the ribbon connectors below them) you might try inserting a wad of tissue or something soft on the board at the battery area and gently closing case again. Check cables for the forth time to make sure they are connected. If you have any luck with this, I suggest you get the proper screw drver to disassemble the mb from its mount to access the battery and vibrator contacts. Gently bend out or up to facilitate a better contact (s), also view the board from the side and see if it is bent or misshaped. Look at the screw hole next to dock right side low and see if it is any different from the left side, (raised up). It may have started to lift. If it has the board shap or curve will probably reflect this. A very very small amount of 5 min epoxy or JB weld (Quik) placed on the brass insert prior to pushing back into place if it has lifted or seating will keep it secure. If you think you got the sticky stuff in the bore clean quickly and install a vasilene covered screw into brass before it dries and the clean further after removing screw for final assembly.

Good luck
    Unfortunatly it didn't work. Could we have broken our logic boards? The gold tab isn't broken btw.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Guys i Do have the same problem, when it loads the software it does not regognise ANY usb cable i have 4 originals, No matter if it is ac or laptop usb or solar charger! When it is off YES it does charge!

I have already change /battery/ dock connector but still nothing. Vibration works and everything else.

I have clean all the connectors of the logic too!

The problem appeared when i try to use an ebay back assemby with battery+dock+all the back staff :P

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kostakisSs View Post
    Guys i Do have the same problem, when it loads the software it does not regognise ANY usb cable i have 4 originals, No matter if it is ac or laptop usb or solar charger! When it is off YES it does charge!

I have already change /battery/ dock connector but still nothing. Vibration works and everything else.

I have clean all the connectors of the logic too!

The problem appeared when i try to use an ebay back assemby with battery+dock+all the back staff :P
    I did exactly the same thing. Cut your losses and buy a new phone. I bought an LG Optimus 7 for €168.90 and it will be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait for it!!!!