Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS 3.1.2 Frozen

Thanks

Question 3GS 3.1.2 Frozen
    Per the advice on this board I started the process of erasing, restoring, re-jailbreaking and re-unlocking to fix some touch screen issues I was having. I didn't get very far.

The phone has frozen on the apple logo with the circular time icon during the erase. Can this process take several hours? If so maybe it's just not done yet.

It's been on this screen all night long. In fact, the battery ran out and I had to plug it in. Once it charged a bit it went back to the apple logo with time icon. It's been going like this for at least 4 hours.

The time icon is not cycling like it should, rather it's fully illuminated - right on top of the metallic apple icon.

What to do? Do I need the original AT&T sim card?

Also, this phone is less than a year old. Does this mean I could take it back to the Apple store and get a warranty return? I have violated my AT&T contract, and went to T-Mobile. Would they know that this phone has been jailbroken and unlocked? (I would obviously remove the T-Mobile sim). I can't get into it, so maybe they couldn't either? How does the apple store deal with people who are in violation of the AT&T contract (non-payment), but still have time on their warranty?

I'd rather fix this myself if it is possible.

Please advise.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Pianoman1976; 05-21-2010 at 09:02 AM.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Place the phone into Recovery or DFU mode and restore it.

You CANT use the erase all data and settings option under options on the phone, on a jailbroken phone. It will ALWAYS crash.

Also, since its a 3G[s] you will need to restore it to 3.1.2, which means you will need your SHSH files stored on cydia or need a custom Pwnd FW file.

PS- If you take it to the Apple store they will restore it to 3.1.3, which means you WONT be able to unlock it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Place the phone into Recovery or DFU mode and restore it.

You CANT use the erase all data and settings option under options on the phone, on a jailbroken phone. It will ALWAYS crash.

Also, since its a 3G[s] you will need to restore it to 3.1.2, which means you will need your SHSH files stored on cydia or need a custom Pwnd FW file.

PS- If you take it to the Apple store they will restore it to 3.1.3, which means you WONT be able to unlock it.
    Thank you.

When I do this I get this message:

"Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone to it's factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of the iphone software will be installed"

I assume this is not the way to go as it will install 3.1.3?

The reason why I attempted the erase in the first place is because I was unsuccessful in my attempts to do a manual restore using the file:

iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw

A "verifying iphone restore with Apple" window showed up, then I got an error message saying that my "this device isn't eligible for the requested build"

Do I have the right 3.1.2 OS restore file? If not where do I get the correct one?

Can you explain or link me to an explanation for the "SHSH files stored on cydia" thing. I know that I set Cydia to keep my SHSH files. I have no idea how to retrieve them or what to do with them when I get them. This is probably the problem I suppose?
    Last edited by Pianoman1976; 05-21-2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Forgot something

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Like I said then you can ONLY restore using a custom pwned FW file.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Pianoman1976 (05-21-2010)

Thanks

My SHSHs are on Cydia. I found these instructions, yet they seem to be dated. Are they still correct?:

"Bypassing the Overlord
    To this end, I have constructed a server that duplicates the functionality exposed by Apple's signature server, except using "on file" results rather than live requests.
    All we need, then, is to make iTunes use it. Luckily, most operating systems also have the ability to locally define bypasses on specific hostnames through a file called hosts. Using this, we can redirect requests to Apple's signature server to Cydia.
    So, open the file CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    Now, when iTunes thinks it is talking to Apple, it is talking to Cydia instead. Doing this will allow iTunes to access signatures already stored by Cydia's "on file" feature.
    This server will also act as a cache for any SHSH blobs it hasn't seen, acting as an intermediary to Apple's server. This effectively registers your device with the "on file" mechanism, which means you can now enjoy the protections of being able to downgrade your firmware in the future even if you aren't jailbroken."

Can you tell me or link me to a how-to "restore using a custom pwned FW file? " I see how to use the pwnage tool but the how-to's I've read assume the phone has working firmware which mine doesn't.
    Last edited by Pianoman1976; 05-21-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Double check the SHSH files, if its not there (or it disappeared) you can try this.

Preventing baseband update as a last-ditch effort [iPhone Dev Team]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shadow25 For This Useful Post:

Pianoman1976 (05-21-2010)

Thanks

I was able to get this working using the pwnagetool. Thanks.