+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: simulating human touch on touch screen

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
hello forum. i know the iPod's touch screen react due to the change of capacity when touched by a human. i am wondering if it would be possible to set
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default simulating human touch on touch screen
    hello forum.

i know the iPod's touch screen react due to the change of capacity when touched by a human.

i am wondering if it would be possible to set up some electronics (maybe a capacitor), place it on the screen and when powered up simulates a touch.

basically i am hoping to activate certain parts (apps) but not have to rely on a human to touch the screen. i also don't want to use solenoids or motors.

any ideas?

thanks a bunch,
    stephan.

Thanks

Google 'Meat stylus' apparently (And I tried this with a slimjim) it has to be flesh. I suppose if you could accurately imitate the electrostatic charge found in your basic lump of flesh (Dead or otherwise?!!??), it will work. The koreans are doing it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails simulating human touch on touch screen-sausage-stylus.jpg  
    Rules one and two ALWAYS in effect.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Indirect Measurements on the Capacity in the Electrostatic HB Model
    i found this but have not yet tried it.

http://www.imeko.org/publications/tc...4-2007-120.pdf

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Some reports I read said the human finger is about 15pF but it was dependent on finger size and glass and level of iron in your blood. Try a capacitor about that size with one lead electronically connected to the screen and the other grounded.... maybe you could ground it to the dock connector.

You may have to try a variety of capacitor sizes as there are a lot of unknowns. I'm not sure about the 100pF in the above linked report, it seems a little high.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

just what kind of deal has Jobs worked with "old scratch" that would require flesh to operate this device?

Thanks

I have not tried this myself but might be worth a go

Soft iPhone and iPad Stylus

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i will give the 15pF a try.

since i don't want any human touch to be involved all the conductive thread etc option don't' really help. unfortunately all of those still need a human on the other end.

regards.

Thanks

I have a stylus that looks like a pen, but has a soft rubber bumber on the end. you have to press a little, but it does work. can i ask why you want to take the human out of the equasion for activating an app?
    BTW the pencil and sock work too. just tried it!
    unklbyl

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i am using the ipod for a standalone art piece. i want to people just to plug the whole thing in to the wall outlet and 123 the piece turns on. but the ipod has the slider/tap to unlock screen and the app icon that need to be activated.
    so i want to have a circuit that does that as soon as the power goes on.

and it seems very difficult/ impossible to use launchd to start app automatically.

i still have to these the 15pF suggestion.

Thanks

Just kicking around a few ideas. is the ipod only supposed to start the one program every time for the rest of it's life, or do you want to be able to choose what runs?
    on wifi you can "click"your ipod from a computer, but is that your intent?
    the boot up could possibly be modified so that one app starts instead of the slide screen. i know it can be done on windows.
    Can you PM me with a few details so I can aim you in the right direction? or are you ok showing this thread?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

let's keep this thread public. other people might find this interesting too.

on wifi you can "click"your ipod from a computer,
    i guess you mean vnc to the ipod and control everything this way. well that would still require a human or an other computer + software.

i want to be able to use the ipod in a kiosk setup - plug and play.

when you say:
    i know it can be done on windows.
    do you mean on windows supported smart phones? or connecting the ipod to a windows computer and manipulating it that way?

just post your ideas here.
    thanks, stephan.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've heard you can use the + side of a AA/AAA battery to do it.

Thanks

but again, you need a human to "push" the battery. just set a good thick key on the screen and DO NOT TOUCH IT. the key will open an app.
    The reason I was throwing ideas out there is because I have little to no idea what you are after. I got the kiosk thing, but tell me what you want it to do once you plug it in. we can work from there.
    unklbyl

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so i have done some experiments with some success.
    i wrote a little ipod app that shows how many finger are touching the screen and also changes the screen color when a new touch occurs.

the AA battery thing does work. i used a pair of pliers with thick rubber grips then touched and un-touched the ipod screen with the battery plus side.

then i placed a flat head screw on the screen that constantly touches the screen. the head has about the size of a stylus tip. touching the screw with my finger cause the screen to react. touching the screw with the battery also worked.

then i attached a 20 AWG wire to the screw and touch its end with finger and battery. both worked.

then i connected the wire to a bread board. a simple push button then connected a 3.3v power supply to be ipod screen. pushing the button did activate the screen a few times.
    but it seems that at some point the system things the finger/screw is still touching the screen. which it does but it is not connected to anything.
    i tried to connect the setup to ground, thinking it might drain what ever capacity potential is still left, but that did not help.

i am not sure how to undo the touch.

Thanks

I am still lost as to what you want to do. When you plug it in, do you want it to boot up and start cycling through pictures?
    Do you want it to display the weather?
    Do you want it to display your camera mounted in your living room?
    I am really trying to help you here, and your elusive answers don't help.
    how about this:
    Write a program that instead of displaying the "slide to unlock" screen, your ipod goes straight to execution of an app. with the millions of smart programmers out there, it should be a question of about 20 minutes to get the program rolling.
    From windows, I meant that in windows you can set up your boot environment so that when the computer is turned on, skype starts up. right?
    install ANDROID on the pod and rewrite boot list to execute a program.
    Is this where you are headed?
    There are limitless possibilities, but i can only help a patient which speaks to me.
    If this helped, I am glad. if not, show me where you need to go.
    you want to totally eliminate the human factor except for plugging in. is this right?
    then what should it execute?
    unklbyl

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi unklbyl.

there are two options i am looking at one would auto start my app of choice via software. like the startup folder in windows or start up items in osx.
    this software based solution would kick in once the ipod is plugged to power. then i would have to either diable or activate the slider to unlock scree, then my app of choice would need to be started.

but i have not found a way to do that.
    i came across this thread but did not get it to work
    Autostart / launchd

the second option would be the discussed hardware way.
    the user plugs in the power, the electronics press/slider the slider to unlock screen, the electronics "press" lets say the top left where my app of choice icon is located.

that's "all".

my app will be written with openframeworks. as for what the app might do: i will use it for many of the art works i am making; audio sensing and serial communication with peripheral devices mostly.

i hope this helps.

cheers and thanks,
    stephan.