Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Inherited a bad iphone

Default Inherited a bad iphone
    Hi all,

I just traded a camcorder for a dead iphone. (it was a gift/trade so I intended to give more than i received). I was told that the phone booted up and would freeze while it was prompting to sync to itunes. Once I got the phone it wouldnt boot at all. I picked up a brand new data cable and charger and it appears the battery isn't charging. I'm under the impression I need to order and new battery and get it to where the phone will work again so I can handle the freezing problem.

1- Does this sound like a bad battery or is there more to this problem?

2- I am going on here say about the freezing so I cant give accurate details about what its doing so if someone can give me a 2nd optinion about the charging problem I will fix and post back about the freezing issue in better detail.

It appears I have a 1st gen model # a1203 iphone if that helps. Also, when I try to charge, all I see on the screen is a battery bar with a very low red bar with a voltage symbol next to it. I know when I charge my itouch the battery diplay indicates a charging motion on the screen with an amber to green color scheme.

Thanks for your time and advice...
    Last edited by englandr753; 05-18-2010 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks

water damage its toast btw-the costs involved to revive that phone would be more than a used one off ebay my advice is sell for parts and pay the difference on a working phone. if u decide to repair, u may loose functionality when done or create another issue like volume or vibrate not working.
    Last edited by mikerlx; 05-19-2010 at 12:25 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

All the water damaged phones I've dealt with (5) the screen won't even turn on at all. Have you tried charging the phone on a wall charger instead of the computer?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ianbroste For This Useful Post:

englandr753 (05-19-2010)

Yes, I've tried the car charger and the wall charger. Its a brand new charger set by belkin and the same cable just plugged into the wall charger adapter and the car charger adapter.

My friend that had it said it worked just fine as far as booting up until 3 weeks ago when another friend offered to buy it from them. I have a hard time to believe they would've traded me a water damaged phone as they are one of my best friends since 7 years old. I don't mean to question your knowledge about iphones but I trust my friend with my life and don't believe they would lie to me about something that insignificant.

The screen does come on when I plug it in to charge but it wont boot.

Hopefully the pic I uploaded will be helpful...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -001-1600x1200-.jpg  

If this phone is "toast" how much should I expect to get on ebay for parts? I don't want to give up on fixing it yet until I get confirmation from others but I would like to know in the back of my mind where I stand if it comes down to that...

A little update to think about...

I took my charger to work with my itouch and when I initially plugged it in, I saw the exact same screen as I do on the dead iphone. I began to think maybe my charger was faulty but I left it connected and later came back to find that the itouch was fully charged and working fine. I didn't take my iphone to work so I couldn't test it. After leaving work I realized I left it connected in the office so I wont be able to test it again until tomorrow while at work so I will try and give an update tomorrow night. I was using the usb data cable with the wall plug in adapter, before I was using the car charger and also plugging directly into my pc. I'm eager to see if the wall adapter does the trick. It sounds like I need to go back to best buy and return the charger kit and get a different brand. The one I got was a Belkin.

I'll update tomorrow night, thanks!
    Last edited by englandr753; 05-19-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

There are several hardware issues that phone could have including....

dock assembly
    flex cable
    battery
    mainboard
    etc
    etc

Its not worth messing with and the phone isnt worth much like that, you'd be lucky to get $50 for it.

I can promise you this, and Im not trying to sound mean, but you wont be able to fix it yourself.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

englandr753 (05-19-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    There are several hardware issues that phone could have including....

dock assembly
    flex cable
    battery
    mainboard
    etc
    etc

Its not worth messing with and the phone isnt worth much like that, you'd be lucky to get $50 for it.

I can promise you this, and Im not trying to sound mean, but you wont be able to fix it yourself.
    I can't argue with you although it wont stop me from trying, lol. I guess your better off buying one through AT&T and getting the protection plan? I hate the idea of that and buying one off ebay doesn't seem that reassuring from a replacement/repair standpoint. If its fixable I intend to try. I'm actually pretty good at assembling/disassembling things. I took apart two bad razr phones and made one good one of of it and used it for nearly a year. It was kinda funny having a 2 tone colored phone.

If the phone appears to be irrepairable, is it worth more to actually part out the phone or just sell it off as a whole unit and get what you can get?

Thanks

Hi, sorry but the phone has hardware issues. Logic board $100-200 and battery $10? The freezing and stop/start are moisture related.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mikerlx For This Useful Post:

englandr753 (05-19-2010)

Does this look reasonable?

APPLE IPHONE 2G 8GB LOGIC BOARD PARTS REPAIR JAILBROKEN - eBay (item 270577429956 end time Jun-10-10 19:00:20 PDT)

I think I see the answer, the communications board is another 75 bucks or so throwing you into the 140 price range still with no guarantees. I get the point guys. I appreciate everyones advice. I'll play with it, after all what do I have to lose?

Thanks again!

The wierd thing about this is, my friend told me that it worked perfectly fine 3 weeks ago when they last used it, and I mean at least powered up and you could see the main screen. They said that it would freeze with a message something about connecting to itunes. They said it did it at that same screen everytime. If I can get it to boot tomorrow and I see this message does that still sound like water damage?

I think after I play around with it during the 12 hours Im stuck at work I will have plenty of time to be convinced that its totally dead or not, lol. As you can tell I don't like to give up...
    Last edited by englandr753; 05-19-2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Totally agree with you. Knowledge is gained thru experience. I have dealt with alot of iphones. Quick story-I purchased a parts/repair off ebay. I asked the seller ques but I was convinced I could put in dfu mode and restore it. I recieved it and looked at the lit screen on an angle and there was a haze and bloth (water damage) but the phone turned on so it went halfway thru the bootneuter and froze. I tried 10 times no luck. Physically the phone was in perfect condition (no dent or scratch) 2G. I resold Parts/Repair getting my money back basically and the buyer opened her up and found it was water damaged. Not all water damaged iphone are doa and some dry out and work. There are infinite water damage scenarios. The freezing and the funny battery behavior are mostly water damage issues including speakers crackling. No wifi drops or no cellular signal could be from a drop down the stair or a loose cable (hardware issue). Apple would rather u pay 199 and be done than try to open and repair it.

Just for the sake of his "What's the point?" argument, it's spelled lowercase "I",
    capital "P" lowercase "HONE". iPhone. Not IPhone. What's the point?
    Membership of the Apple Nazis.

Have you checked the water damage indicator at the bottom of the headphone jack? If its red, then it's water damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by englandr753 View Post
    I can't argue with you although it wont stop me from trying, lol. I guess your better off buying one through AT&T and getting the protection plan? I hate the idea of that and buying one off ebay doesn't seem that reassuring from a replacement/repair standpoint. If its fixable I intend to try. I'm actually pretty good at assembling/disassembling things. I took apart two bad razr phones and made one good one of of it and used it for nearly a year. It was kinda funny having a 2 tone colored phone.

If the phone appears to be irrepairable, is it worth more to actually part out the phone or just sell it off as a whole unit and get what you can get?
    Hahaha, I used to do the same thing with Razrs. I had one that was parts of 3-4 different phones. My friends would call it the "drift" razr since all the different color panels.

If its water damaged, might as well try this
    Got iPhone problems? Wash it!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to shadow25 For This Useful Post:

englandr753 (05-20-2010)

Nice. Thats a pretty interesting concept. Its almost like baking your Xbox 360 mobo for 9 hours @ 180* to remove moisture and solidify the circuitry to recover from the red ring of death but more scary, lol.

I'd say if that many people reply positively about it then theres not much more harm to be done, lol.

Thats funny about the razr. I actually liked that phone better than my new razrs tbh. I think I sold that since it was tmobile and I no longer use them. **Sigh**

Thanks for the suggestion!