+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Got iPhone problems? Wash it!

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by iTphone just curious, why not just dunk the entire phone in this concoction? maybe with it all taken apart so it has best absorption. All assembled, it'll
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iTphone View Post
    just curious, why not just dunk the entire phone in this concoction? maybe with it all taken apart so it has best absorption.
    All assembled, it'll likely trap some fluid somewhere instead of letting it evaporate and dry. Also, you don't get a chance to clean corrosion off of connections while its assembled.

Thanks

Dry it in a plastic baggy with dry rice over night..

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

i have a 3G with sort of no wifi
    i've found that if i press on the ear piece, near the top, with my thumb, and use my fingers on either side to bend the phone until the "No SIM" error appears, i have a few hours of wifi usage.
    i used to do it by whacking it on the wall(trying to fix a non vibrating motor and read that the impact clears it up, only to see the wifi connect immediately but still no vibration) but found that flexing my phone gives better results.

does this sound like an issue that bathing will help?
    i bought this one used, and it has apple care until December. i'm dragging my feet about taking it in due to the fact that i rely on ultrasn0w to use my phone.

oh, and the lock button doesnt function either :P this phone is a zombie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cid6.7 View Post
    Dry it in a plastic baggy with dry rice over night..
    LOL

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks.Washing the Logic Board with Isopropyl Alcohol helped me to get the Touchscreen working.
    Last edited by brahman; 08-18-2010 at 01:28 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

could you use one of those electrical cleaner sprays then compressed air to dry, if you want a quicker fix?

Thanks

I would try just the Water...

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    So if I buy a water damaged iPhone on craigslist, this should work most likely? I don't get it, why wouldn't the water mess up the motherboard? I mean it is the water in the first place that messed it up, two negatives don't equal a positive lol, care to explain? (I believe you though, just not grasping the concept)

No what is messing up the motherboard is what is IN that water you dropped it in. Small minerals that conduct electricity which mess up everything are there. By dunking it in pure tap water (well... as pure as i can get) you blow away all the minerals, and if you let the water dry it will not conduct electricity anymore, and it will not break anything.
    Last edited by Mars478; 08-24-2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iPhone 4, Yellow Custom Glass, 32GB, 4.3.3, non-working home button. And a prototype iPhone 4 White.
    Main Computer:MacBook Unibody Plastic, 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, 250x2GB, Red glowing Apple.
    Water Damaged iPhone? Don't throw it away; iPhone Motherboard washing tutorial!!! (PM me I will do it for you)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Ultrasonic Cleaner
    Quote Originally Posted by brokemyi View Post
    We use a heated ultrasonic tub with 99% isopropyl alochol, remove the logic board plates and place in the tub and let it do its thing for 3 minutes
    I purchased an Ultrasonic Cleaner unit. What settings would you recommend on cleaning the iPhone logic board? Like the temperature and the frequency and the duration? Or maybe other things to be cautious about?

I purchased the item below:
    Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner Steel Basket Rack 2.2L 100W Heated

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm going to keep this in mind if or when it happens to me or someone I know
    Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

what about the remaining components beside the logic board. safe to submerge them in rubbing alcohol or it doesn't matter?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iTphone For This Useful Post:

barys07 (09-05-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried it 2 weeks ago on my damaged iphone 3g with iso 99% alcohol and water mix . I was Scared doing this but left the motherboad in there for 6 hours and left it to dry for 2 days popped it back in and BAM it worked WAY better than before. Thanks alot for the guide. Very risky thou.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    So if I buy a water damaged iPhone on craigslist, this should work most likely? I don't get it, why wouldn't the water mess up the motherboard? I mean it is the water in the first place that messed it up, two negatives don't equal a positive lol, care to explain? (I believe you though, just not grasping the concept)
    The water damaged electronic will ONLY be recoverable if it was turned off immediately after getting wet(if it didn't already turn of from the dunking)and kept turned off until it is completely dried out.
    It should also be watched closely after getting wet for a period of time even if it turned itself off as it could possibily try to restart itself.

This is the key to rescuing it. DO NOT turn on or allow the device to turn on until it is thoroughly dried out.
    If it is kept or turned on while still wet the odds are that it will burn out a circuit or two and become a lost cause. Useless. Junk. It is even questionable whether or not it will even be useful for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
    i have a 3G with sort of no wifi
    i've found that if i press on the ear piece, near the top, with my thumb, and use my fingers on either side to bend the phone until the "No SIM" error appears, i have a few hours of wifi usage.
    i used to do it by whacking it on the wall(trying to fix a non vibrating motor and read that the impact clears it up, only to see the wifi connect immediately but still no vibration) but found that flexing my phone gives better results.

does this sound like an issue that bathing will help?
    i bought this one used, and it has apple care until December. i'm dragging my feet about taking it in due to the fact that i rely on ultrasn0w to use my phone.

oh, and the lock button doesnt function either :P this phone is a zombie
    Sounds like an abuse issue better managed by an anger management geared post.
    Last edited by riverratt; 11-20-2010 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12