Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS: call failed after "Basband Dump," lost signal, now won't boot. Can I still backup?

Default call failed after "Baseband Dump," lost signal, now 3GS won't boot. Can I still backup?
    My iPhone 3GS has acted funny since I got it. WiFi and cellular strength would usually say that the signal strength was next to nothing until I'd toggle Airplane mode (usually jumps to full). WiFi was routinely slower than 3G for no discernible reason. I could usually make and maintain calls as well as when the signal strength was full. I don't know if the problems are related, but I thought I'd mention them.

A few times a month I would get a crash where a pop-up message tells me that there is a "Core Baseband Dump in Progress" or something like that (perhaps "Baseband Core Dump in Progress"). I didn't think there was much to it when it happened earlier today shortly after ending one call and placing another ("Call Failed"). Several minutes later I attempted to make the call again and instead got a pop-up message saying that I need to restore in iTunes to make calls. This was not the "connect to iTunes" graphic. This was visible on top of my recent calls list and could be dismissed. The signal strength area showed "searching" and it would not get a signal.

I had tethered for about one page load about half an hour earlier and thought that perhaps AT&T was trying to restore an official IPCC settings file or something. I am using native tethering with 3.1.2 and whatever modem/baseband which came with (05.11.??, IIRC); In other words, I didn't preserve a previous one. I did NOT use BlackSn0w to do it because it would cause "searching" signal issues with 3G enabled (found the info online).

I was still able to navigate and launch apps, so I thought it was safe to reboot the phone. As far as I knew, it was just due to the baseband crashing again or something that a soft reboot might fix. NOPE. All I get is an Apple logo for a few seconds and then it shuts off.

I don't think I have connected this phone to iTunes since I first set it up four months ago after the PC developed problems. It desperately needed a backup. In fact, I had to avoid installing iTunes on my Alienware M11x and Acer Aspire one due to SSD storage space limitations. If there is any way to back up the phone before restoring it, PLEASE tell me. I haven't tried because I am still at work but I am hoping to have a non-destructive way by the time I get home. Is there a non-destructive way to restore an iPhone or a way to back things up when it is in restore mode? I checked and I can still enter restore or DFU modes.
    Last edited by CZroe; 05-08-2010 at 10:31 PM.

try to use ireb to get it to boot. I don't know how it works because I've never used it, but others use it to get their phones to boot when having trouble.

Twitter: @tshoults

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger92 View Post
    try to use ireb to get it to boot. I don't know how it works because I've never used it, but others use it to get their phones to boot when having trouble.
    I'll do that. Thanks!

Edit: Actually, it looks like it only works with Touch/2G/3G and NOT 3GS. Mins is the old non-MC model, FWIW.
    Last edited by CZroe; 05-08-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    I'll do that. Thanks!

Edit: Actually, it looks like it only works with Touch/2G/3G and NOT 3GS. Mins is the old non-MC model, FWIW.
    Do you need to preserve the baseband? Or are you on official carrier? If your 3GS is a non MC model, you can use sn0wbreeze to restore it while preserving the baseband making it still unlockable, since it wouldn't have a tethered boot. Or if your on an offical carrier, you should just be able to put it into DFU mode and restore it via iTunes.

If your iPhone is an MC model and you rely on an unlock, I don't think there's anything can be done as of now. But like I said before, if your on an official carrier, you should be able to just enter DFU mode and restore through iTunes.

Hope this helped a little, and sorry if I was way off from what you were asking. >_<

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That really sounds like the baseband chip is failing, I would take it in for a warranty replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Failbait View Post
    Do you need to preserve the baseband? Or are you on official carrier? If your 3GS is a non MC model, you can use sn0wbreeze to restore it while preserving the baseband making it still unlockable, since it wouldn't have a tethered boot. Or if your on an offical carrier, you should just be able to put it into DFU mode and restore it via iTunes.

If your iPhone is an MC model and you rely on an unlock, I don't think there's anything can be done as of now. But like I said before, if your on an official carrier, you should be able to just enter DFU mode and restore through iTunes.

Hope this helped a little, and sorry if I was way off from what you were asking. >_<
    Official carrier untethered 3GS but I wanted to preserve the baseband for resale reasons. Also, I was hoping to back up my data and settings first but it's too late for that. I restored to 3.1.2 using my Cydia SHSH backups and the phone works but the strange signal issue is still there. Still has 05.11.07 baseband, so it's preserved.

Quote Originally Posted by IUiPodRepair View Post
    That really sounds like the baseband chip is failing, I would take it in for a warranty replacement.
    Could it be the SIM? This is a refurb from December so I'm not sure that I get a full warranty.
    Last edited by CZroe; 05-09-2010 at 03:37 PM.