+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mic frustrations! argh!!!

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'll start with a bit of history behind the issue, because sometimes people are bound to ask what how or why. Skip to the bold if you don't give a
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Angry Mic frustrations! argh!!!
    I'll start with a bit of history behind the issue, because sometimes people are bound to ask what how or why. Skip to the bold if you don't give a crap about that.

I've been in and out of the country a lot from US > China > Canada > UAE. In short I haven't been using it as a phone for about 5 months until I knew the dust would settle with my work. Then I would go back to using China Mobile and prepaid T-Mobile. I was using just a prepaid here in the US when I've been around.

My iPhone 3G had a speaker problem for months (past warranty). I purchased a new dock assembly (which includes the speaker/mic/antenna for future reference). I had issues with that and exchanged it twice, only to get a refund in the end. I ended up buying another through "ubreakifix" and the speaker worked fine.

I was content with the speaker working fine, at last. My work settled down and I went ahead and bought a new contract with China Mobile. I plop in the new sim, and no one can hear me! Unless I'm using bluetooth.

I reset the software, reinstalled the firmware, et cetera. I knew it must be hardware at that point. The mic on my older dock assembly worked and so I swapped the two mics without any complication (just desolder/solder - don't worry I'm not a novice at it). Yet even after swapping the mic pieces it still isn't working. At this point I need advice because I am not THAT technically savvy.

Is it a problem with the mainboard? Or can it still be an existing problem somehow with the dock assembly? I know the dock assembly has other components on it and I can't say I know how it all works... I am stupidly hopeful that it's JUST the assembly and not the mainboard.

Any advice on what to do and/or your knowledge in this area would be really appreciated.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Excel Wiz's Avatar
    Thanks

I had a lot of problems with my mic in my 3G and what I ended up doing was purchasing an entire new dock assembly which was only about 20 dollars and then I restored my phone once I had swapped the docks and it has worked great ever since.

MacBook Pro 15" Core i7|4GB|500GB|HiRes
    iPhone 4 16GB
    iPhone 3G 8GB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hmm, well I have gone through that bit as I mentioned.

I purchased a new assembly on eBay that sounded extremely tinny, even after exchanging it twice, only to get a refund. I then purchased another assembly from ubreakifix's eBay account. The speaker on that one worked. At the time I wasn't using it as a phone so I didn't have any inkling the mic was bad. I swapped mic's from the old to new assembly and it still gives a fuss.

I am about to take it apart and try the OLD assembly with the bad speaker but NEWER mic to see if it's some type of problem with the assembly overall. I'll update on that in a bit...

Thanks still for replying though Excel Wiz, it's appreciated! If I can then I may risk dumping another $30 down from ubreakifix's parts and try yet another assembly. ugh!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Excel Wiz's Avatar
    Thanks

Ya no problem. Let me know, I'll always help a fellow apple user in need.

MacBook Pro 15" Core i7|4GB|500GB|HiRes
    iPhone 4 16GB
    iPhone 3G 8GB