+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Touch Screen Troubleshooting

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I cant tell if this is a hardware or a software issue and I need some advice on how to troubleshoot it. I've got a 3G. 3.1.2 (05.11.07) Jail-broken &
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Touch Screen Troubleshooting
    I cant tell if this is a hardware or a software issue and I need some advice on how to troubleshoot it.

I've got a 3G. 3.1.2 (05.11.07) Jail-broken & Unlocked (blackra1n) and on TMO.

What's happening, is the touchscreen works normally with no issues then it will just stop responding. It happens in random locations on the screen and in random applications. I am not able to repeat the issue, it just happens.

All other hardware buttons work when the screen locks.

I can clear the problem by pressing lock to lock the phone. And then Home and unlocking it.

Searching for this online is difficult because most things i've found are dead spots or broken screens, this is neither. I'm thinking it might be the digitizer, but it also could be a software issue.

I've tried wiping, restoring to 3.1.2 and re-jail-breaking. Issue remains.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It's most likely a software issue, but there is a chance you need to clean your screen.

-I've heard stories of peoples screens being sticky and all they need was a quick wash.

Otherwise, I'd restore it, but be careful if you're unlocked.
    It's only impossible if you quit.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If it was dirty, would it clear up when I locked and unlocked the phone though?

I did a restore. Maybe downgrading to say 3.1.1 and then back to 3.1.2?

UPDATE:

After a little research....I found this: Unresponsive touchscreen until lock/unlock? Software error? - Mac Forums

Low and behold....by pressng on the back of the phone (Near the apple) I can recover from the issue. To tonight I'll crack it open and check the connections.

Will update tomorrow
    Last edited by Raadio; 05-05-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost