Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G Back Housing Mould

Default 3G Back Housing Mould
    Any thoughts on how to make/obtain one. I'm wanting to create my own back using a certain material and need a way to make a mould I can just pour liquid into. Thoughts on how to go about this? Obviously a pretty complex question, but I'd really appreciate any thoughts anyone has. Once I figure it out, you'll all have a new project to have a look at too . Maybe even buy if it's easy enough to do.

The best I can think is track down some ebay back case 'supplier' and buy the mould directly from them. So it is precise, since they would've mastered each corner dimension by now.

I doubt making the mould yourself from scratch may work out economical, even if you can make one. (time wise)

If you still think you can still do it... my contribution is the attached image :-) (Yes you can get it through google)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -iphonedimensions.jpg  

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

It takes a machine to do this, not just a mold......you wont be able to do it.

I have tried and my castings would come out bad. Mold can be easily done with liquid silicone 2 part mixture. got it from dickblick.com. I was trying to make a transparent housing. came out pretty bad. Made like 5 prototypes and just gave up. LOL.

I've molded stuff in the past with resin. Transparent is really hard for complicated shapes as need to try and avoid bubbles. I wanted to try using an old refrigerator compressor to let me fill a mold from the bottom via a u-shaped tunnel in the mold while the compressor would pull a vacuum from the top of the mold.

I moved on to another project and I didn't really want to dismantle a refridgerator

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have been interested in perhaps casting a Brass case for a sort of first ever attempt at a "steampunk" look. mostly, I just like brass. I can't see why a sand casting couldn't accomplish a workable case back. the inside might be a bit rough, but nothing that some Dremel time couldn't fix.

the only catch would be having to accurately drill and tap any threaded holes. those small taps can be a pain, and getting them in just the right location takes some superhuman concentration.

Expect less bars of signal as the brass is going to block the signal to the internal antennas.
    But would look cool.

Aluminite resin with one of their metal powers might give you the same effect for much less $$$

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wreck-gar For This Useful Post:

ahdlm (06-11-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@Wreck-gar, Fine! just destroy my dreams!

thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of signal blocking.

actually I think a brass bass might work for me given the At&t reception at my place.
    Can't get any lower than zero bars

Quote Originally Posted by ____ View Post
    I have tried and my castings would come out bad. Mold can be easily done with liquid silicone 2 part mixture. got it from dickblick.com. I was trying to make a transparent housing. came out pretty bad. Made like 5 prototypes and just gave up. LOL.
    at least you tried