+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Computer wont recognize iphone 3gs

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I was wondering if you guys would be able to guide me in the right direction to fixing my iphone 32gb 3gs. First off ill start by saying what happened
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Computer wont recognize iphone 3gs
    I was wondering if you guys would be able to guide me in the right direction to fixing my iphone 32gb 3gs. First off ill start by saying what happened to it and what the problem is now. So first off it got thrown at the ground causing the touch screen, digitzer,and the frame. I ordered those parts and had the iphone working fine, or so i thought. I couldnt get the speaker on the top of the phone to work so i took it apart a few times hoping it was just the number 3 ribbon lose, after having no look i took it apart one last time to try and when i had it back together it wouldnt get any service unless i had the phone on my truck cell booster. So i tried doing a full restart to factory to see if it would change anything. After doing that no computers will recongzine that the iphone is plug into it, but yet when the phone is off and i plug it into the computer or the wall it turns itself one and goes to the startup screen asking to plug into itunes. So i figured it must have something to do with the internal charger so i ordered a new bottom piece to see i that was the problem, and still my computer will not recongzine my iphone, nor will the other computers in the house. When i opened it up to make sure everything was connect i noticed that the spot where the number 7 ribbon was bent on one side so i used a small flat head to make it a circle again but that didnt seems to help any. So is there anything you can thing to do

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It sounds like there may be an issue with the bottom half of your phone. Meaning when you open it up, that bottom piece, [dock connector] because thats where the antenna is, and also where the port to charge/connect it to your computer is.

I broke a small ribbon cable on mine that screwed up the mic/sound. Maybe you could've done something similar.

Take a look at it.

Helped? Click the THANKS button.
    It's only impossible if you quit.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well thats what i thought so i bought a new dock connector and its doing the same thing as the old one so im stumped, im thinking maybe a problem with the logic board?

Thanks

But even then, it wouldnt be recognized by the dock.

I'll have to think on this one some more.
    -Maybe try calling apple for some over the phone help? Obviously not telling them you took it apart.

...Are you still under warranty?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ive had the phone for about a month and a half now, i would be under warrenty if it wasnt open and the screw with the warrenty tape wasnt touched

Thanks

Im sort of having the same problem with my 2g. It wont be recognized by any comp after i replaced the digitizer. It does turn on if i have it off then plug it in holding home, but will the comp doesn't show anything is connected. I was going to order a new dock connector and ribbon but im assuming it wont do anything for me if it didn't work for you.

You didn't happen to touch it software wise did you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sasq40 View Post
    ive had the phone for about a month and a half now, i would be under warrenty if it wasnt open and the screw with the warrenty tape wasnt touched
    I'd attempt to bring it back to Apple, if they give you a hard time tell them you didnt open it, play dumb. Worst comes to worst say it is absurd! If you had an issue and you're coming to them, why would you try to open it?

Just make a fuss. They'll replace it most likely.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

id try that but there no apple store anywhere near here, so my goal is to try and fix it, also u can tell by the outside its been opened cuz the rubber seal on the bottom is missing

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Does it charge through a wall charger?

If not, does it charge through accessories, like a car charger or speaker dock.

Had this problem with my 2g think i fixed it.

Thanks

Send it in you'll get a refurbished working one... They dont care if that warranty sticker is missing trust me... LOL

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well i need it plugged in so i can use it at all, i cant do the initial set up, ill give apple a call and see what happens i guess