Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replacing LCD, Front Glass and Digitizer

Default Replacing LCD, Front Glass and Digitizer
    I'm curious if there is a difference in all the different pricing I'm seeing.. I see cheap LCD, Glass+Digitizer and then I see expensive ones.

I was going to go with these right here.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Iphone-Replacement-Front-Digitizer/dp/B001ISL548/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_a]Amazon.com: Apple Iphone 3G Replacement Front Glass and Digitizer - Repair your cracked glass: Electronics[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/New-iPhone-Replacement-Screen-16gb/dp/B001S37JVG/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_c]Amazon.com: New OEM iPhone 3G LCD Replacement Screen 8gb or 16gb: Electronics[/ame]

and this tool kit

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Replace-Cracked-Scratch-Display/dp/B001O2T43M/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b]Amazon.com: Complete Tool Screw Driver Torx Kit to Repair Replace Apple Iphone 2g 3g GPS Ipod Video Nano Touch Cracked Scratch Broken Lcd Screen Display: Electronics[/ame]

It's like $30 all together. But I've seen them way more expensive than this..

Any thoughts?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Not really, that will work. Just make sure you get the proper parts for your iphone model (3g, 3g[s]). You dont need the toolkit if you have a small flat/phillips screwdrivers, nothing special there. And make sure the digitizer/glass part comes with the adhesive to apply it.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Not really, that will work. Just make sure you get the proper parts for your iphone model (3g, 3g[s]). You dont need the toolkit if you have a small flat/phillips screwdrivers, nothing special there. And make sure the digitizer/glass part comes with the adhesive to apply it.
    Thank you sir!

some are oem parts, some original, that's why price difference i think

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soderberg View Post
    some are oem parts, some original, that's why price difference i think
    OEM means "Original Equipment Manufacturer" so these would be the parts to get..

Buying on the web is treacherous.

You have to trust the seller, which sucks.

They will show photos of Real Apple Items, then send you knock-offs.
    They will use descriptions such as OEM, Original, Genuine, Apple etc. and still send knock-offs.

Oppositely some of the reputable sellers with Real Apple Items, use words like Grade A, High Quality, Same as Apple which makes one leary (buzzwords for knock-off), but they are selling the Real Apple Part.

Buyer Beware, you have to trust the seller, which sucks.

So point is trust in seller

Quote Originally Posted by soderberg View Post
    So point is trust in seller
    I think 805 93003 made that clear. Lol

Anyways, I would suggest ebay, prices are a lot cheaper, and even if you dont receive what you ordered, you have protection from ebay and protection from paypal.

PLUS, you could see the seller's ratings to read reviews of previous buyers.
    It's only impossible if you quit.

Thanks

can anybody help me here? i have an ipod touch 8G 3rd Gen, and i ordered replacement glass and digitizer, and since i know my luck, ordered 2. I got everything taken apart, and cannot get the little connector back into the slot. I have watched about 20 videos, but NOWHERE does anybody put the dang thing back together. taking it apart can be done with a simple stone!
    HELP
    unklbyl

10. The Following User Says Thank You to unklbyl For This Useful Post:

MikeThomson (07-23-2010)

Thanks

Honestly, the cheap knock-off parts aren't that bad. I still definitely recommend OEM parts, but for the price you won't notice a difference in knock-off parts. We only use OEM but have customers bring in the cheap parts all the time for replacement and they are basically the same.

Quote Originally Posted by unklbyl View Post
    can anybody help me here? i have an ipod touch 8G 3rd Gen, and i ordered replacement glass and digitizer, and since i know my luck, ordered 2. I got everything taken apart, and cannot get the little connector back into the slot. I have watched about 20 videos, but NOWHERE does anybody put the dang thing back together. taking it apart can be done with a simple stone!
    HELP
    unklbyl
    Your problem having a problem with the digitizer ribbon being in the correct position. When you get the digitizer in, the ribbon cable is straight across the edge of it. You actually have to fold it backwards so the connection is facing down. After that, installing should be a breeze.
    Friendly Computers.com
    Nationwide PC & iRepair Services

Quote Originally Posted by unklbyl View Post
    HELP
    unklbyl
    i think your talking about the ribbon that goes to the ear piece.. does it have a #3 on it.. check this video out

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSVQ4p2xQdc]YouTube - iPhone 3G Cracked Screen or Digitizer Repair Part 2[/ame]

fast forward to 6:30 into the video

I get all my parts from eBay. Never had any problems. If you need some trusted sellers name PM me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The only tools we use at our shop is a small flat/Phillips screwdriver and a suction cup for the screen.

Ebay prices are generally low because it is a very compettive market.

Make sure you do not accidentaly order parts from china(not taht they are bad quality, its just that you will have to wait for 2 weeks to get them.)

Tools I use is a Phillips Screwdriver / a Suction Cup and Patients. The repalcement of the glass can be time consuming depending on how bad the glass is shattered.

It normally takes me 15 minutes from start to finished. I do a complete clean up before I reapply the glass back on.
    Last edited by XFaega; 07-30-2010 at 12:50 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to XFaega For This Useful Post:

locabk (08-17-2010)

Thanks

I did order the parts from china, and they hit my box in 5 days. Here is what i think is, at least, part of the problem. I think i have a second gen ipod touch 8 gig and ordered third gen bezzle, digitizer, and glass already assembled. I tried to connect the clip (top left) and had to press kind of hard, and it will not click. I bought this thing about a month ago so i assumed it was 3rd gen. Am i just letting my feminin side rule here, or do i really have to press that hard? As i was taking it apart, it was pretty hard to disconnect, but i am afraid of damaging this thing beyond repair. The iphone videos are nice, but obviously this is not the ipod touch

can you compare the flex cable from the old digitizer to the new one?
    if they both look the same then go ahead and try to push it in, but do not try to push very very hard, the clips are made of a very soft metal.
    good luck